108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CANNOT DELETE LDEV 5 FROM IO CONFIG

SOLVED
Go to solution
TOM WALSH_1
Occasional Contributor

CANNOT DELETE LDEV 5 FROM IO CONFIG

I ATTEMPTED TO DELETE AND REMOVE AN OLD 2654 LP FROM IO CONFIG USING BOTH IOCONFIG AND SYSGEN WITHOUT SUCCESS.THIS LP WAS HPIB CONNECTED.

I DELETED THE DEVICE AND DID A SHUTDOWN START/NORECOVERY BUT WHEN I DO A SHOWDEV 5 THE DEVICE SHOWS AVAILABLE AS IF IT WERE A TERMINAL.

I CHECKED NMMGR FOR LDEV 5 CONFIGS ON THE DTC'S AND COULD FIND NONE.

ANY IDEA'S OUT THERE.
4 REPLIES 4
Eric Sorensen_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: CANNOT DELETE LDEV 5 FROM IO CONFIG

Hello Tom,

"Online" configuration changes can be done for system devices, but only network printers and disc drives, or nmmgr (serial) devices. HPIB devices cannot be added or deleted online-- they must be modified the "old way": SYSGEN IO (delete/add/whatever), then hold, exit, keep, exit, and Start Norecovery. It is likely that LDEV5 is available after the boot, and is "grabbed" by a virtual terminal, as those LDEV numbers are assigned dynamically...
A problem well defined is half solved.
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Some of this is pretty basic, but let's list the steps anyway.

1. Go into SYSGEN, then IO. Type in LD 5 and press return. If anything shows then you forgot to do the HOLD then KEEP sequence.

2. Next do a LD under IO in SYSGEN and press return. A device configured under NMMGR appears as follows in SYSGEN:

LDEV: 100 NMMGR

3. I hope your printer did not look like:

LDEV: 5 DEVNAME: OUTDEV: 0 MODE: OS
ID: HP2562C RSIZE: 66 DEVTYPE: LP
PATH: 52.4.0 MPETYPE: 32 MPESUBTYPE: 9
CLASS: LP

I am specifically looking at CLASS: LP. Every system has to have a LP class printer defined somewhere. The system gets awful cranky if you try and delete it if memory serves me correctly.

Look at these three things and repost if you have any questions.
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Eric, I wonder about your last statements. Since he says the device shows AVAILABLE this would indicate that it is NOT a non-nailed ldev because non-nailed ldev's disappear from the SHOWDEV list once the session is terminated. I would bet money that you are spot on with the first part of your post however.
Eric Sorensen_1
Honored Contributor

Hello Paul,

I think the problem was LDEV5 was currently owned by a VT, therefore Tom was unable to configure the new device with that LDEV.
A problem well defined is half solved.