Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
HP 9000 and HP e3000 Servers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONSOLE & KEYBOARD

Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

CONSOLE & KEYBOARD

Fellow SAs:

We are looking to buy a new CONSOLE/KEYBOARD for our RP8400, 7400 and 3440 etc. We would like to connect it to any of the existing HP-UX Servers if need arises. (We already have all these servers connected via Remote LAN Console also. We just want to have an additional Monitor/Console screen by the side of theserver.) Do you know the make/model number of this console/keyboard? I tried searching for it and googling it and didnt find any suitable hits. Any input would be most appreciated.

-Kennedy
4 REPLIES
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: CONSOLE & KEYBOARD

I've always kept a C1099A on hand - just a dumb terminal that you can plug into the "W" shaped, three way connector on the back of the server. I think that's what you're asking for.

Pete

Pete
Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

Thanks for replying Pete. The lower range servers like RP34XX etc. have the W Shaped Connections, One of which is for Consoles. In RP74XX and 84XX it is just a 9 Pin Make Connector marked "Console". Thanks for the product info, I will do a little bit of research on it and order it. -Kennedy
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What about MP port ?

Suraj
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> Thanks for replying Pete. The lower range servers like RP34XX etc. have the W Shaped Connections, One of which is for Consoles. In RP74XX and 84XX it is just a 9 Pin Make Connector marked "Console".

Both of the server types have a 9 pin connector. The W-cable is just a way to split out the 3 serial ports from a non-standard 25 pin D-connector. The C1099 series is OK but you can use any of the series 700 (700/92, 700/96, etc) or even the 2392A which are probably cheaper. I noticed that they are almost non-existent on eBay. $50 is a typical price.

But that's an HP terminal -- not necessary. You can use any vt100-compatible terminal or even a laptop running hyperterminal or putty. In all cases, be sure you have the correct cable. You are hooking two computing devices together wiothout a modem so the cable must be a crossover (null modem) cable.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin