HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753539 Members
5162 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Connecting external modem to HP9000/800

Diyar Kadar_1

Connecting external modem to HP9000/800

I have an HP 9000/871 server (D3xx server) running HPUX 10.20. I am trying to establish a PPP link to another machine. It has an internal HP modem which does not support PPP so I have an external Hayes modem but I can not get the system to dial out. I have installed the device using SAM (ttyd1p0). The serial port on the system is a nine pin connection and the modem has a nine pin connection. When trying cu and using the standard modem cable nothing happens and the system just hangs up and the cu process need to be killed. Does anybody out there knows what the problem is?, your help is most appreciated.
I have tried everything
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Re: Connecting external modem to HP9000/800

Diyar,
My first guess is the cable. Are you sure that this is the right one? The signals of the D-Class are:

1: DCD
2: RX Data
3: TX Data
4: DTR
5: GND
6: DSR
7: RTS
8: CTS
9: Ring Indicator

Maybe you can figure out the right connection with this information
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi try kermit

kermit
set line /dev/ttyd1p0
set speed 9600 (this normally works)
set modem type hayes-high-speed

sh co ( shows connection settings)
AT (the attention command)
(if you get a responce "OK")
then try
dial I normally dial my mobile.

HTH

Paula

If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

Might seem like a silly question but are you using the 9-pin port on the remote management card on the D-Class or the Serial 2/UPS port next to the console port. ttyd1p0 is the address for Serial 2/UPS.
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

Might seem like a silly question but are you using the 9-pin port on the remote management card on the D-Class or the Serial 2/UPS port next to the console port. ttyd1p0 is the address for Serial 2/UPS.
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor