1751701 Members
5068 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT Drive and IPL Error

Glenn A. Mitchell
Valued Contributor

DLT Drive and IPL Error

I recently added two DLT drives to my 957. Before installing them there, I installed them on my test 947 and all went well. On the 957, all went well for LDEV 8, but the drive for LDEV 7 didn't show up in the configuration after the IPL.

I re-IPLd and checked with ODE MAPPER - both drives are listed on the MFIO SE SCSI bus (52.1.0 and 52.3.0). When I did the START NORECOVERY, I got an error that appeared before the listing of all the devices on the system. It flew by too quickly to write down (the console doesn't have much memory either), but it was something like LLIOH ... ERROR -9.

This system is a 7x24 box and I have a tough time scheduling down time for it (last time it was IPL'd before this was May 2002!) so I can't easily recreate the message or experiment with various things. Anyone know what this error might be and/or what to do to try to correct it?

Thanks.

Glenn
6 REPLIES 6
Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

Glenn,

Off the top of my head, I'd check to make sure that: 1. The PSEUDO devices are in place, 2.
Make sure the physical addresses on the DLT's are set to match whats in SYSGEN, and 3. The device drivers are in your IODFAULT.PUB.SYS file.

My $.04 for inflation,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Glenn A. Mitchell
Valued Contributor

Thanks Chuck.

1. The PSEUDO devices are in place for both drives.
2. ODE Mapper confirms the address is set to what I configured in SYSGEN.
3. The device driver for LDEV 7 is the same as LDEV 8 - DLT4000.

Here are the paths (PSEUDOs) that I have in SYSGEN:

52.0 DDS drive
52.1 DLT drive - LDEV 7 - gets LLIO error
52.2 CD-ROM drive
52.3 DLT drive - LDEV 8 - works great
52.6 System disk drive
52.8 No device attached here
52.9 STREAMS pseudo device (LDEV 10)

I should still be within the 7 device SE SCSI limit.

Glenn
Denis St-Amand
Trusted Contributor

By the way, you may be able to get exact error message by running program CONMSG.MPEXL.TELESUP (or from PUBXL.TELESUP) and then print local created file named CONDUMP.

About DLT on ldev 7, is this exact same DLT model number ? What is it ?
Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

Glenn and Denis,

Great tip on the CONMSG program. I was not aware of that. On my system, the program is in MPEXL.TELESUP. There was also a file in HPMPEDOC.SYS which had my console messages from my last boot a couple of months ago when I changed disc drives. Really good little tool.

Thanks Denis..

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Kwan Fong, Emile
Honored Contributor

Hello Glenn,

An LLIO error on a device configuration during bootup is usually a configuration mismatch between the sysgen I/O configuration and the actual device.

Are you able to run the :conmsg.mpexl.telesup command and look at the condump file? What is the exact error message?

Be aware it is not recommended to have 2 DLTs sharing the same interface card. DLTs on HW paths 52.1.0 and 52.3.0 are sharing same interface card. It is also recommended DLTs to have their own and dedicated interface.
King is the customer!
Glenn A. Mitchell
Valued Contributor

Thanks all. The conmsg thing is very helpful. Here's the appropriate bit:

Entering - System I/O configuration.
The path 52 has already been configured.
LLIO Error - subsys: 255, proc num: 9, error_num: -2
for path 52.1.0.
ERROR - LLIO device configuration error: -11
status - subsys: #150 info: #-11
The path 52.2.0 was configured but is not available.
The path 52.6.0 has already been configured.
The path 52.9.0 was configured but is not available.
The path 56 has already been configured.
The path 56.0 has already been configured.
Leaving - System I/O configuration.

As for the recommendation to give each their own interface, I'd gladly do that, but the customer wants to keep costs down and the DLT drives will not be used in parallel (we got two mostly to provide redundancy should one fail). I can approach the customer about moving one or both to dedicated SCSI cards. What part number fits a 9x7?

Regards.

Glenn