108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enabling PCI slots in rp3410 -> rp3440 upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Charles Slivkoff
Respected Contributor

Enabling PCI slots in rp3410 -> rp3440 upgrade

We recently purchased and installed the upgrade for a rp3410 to make it a rp3440.

The primary reason for this was to enable the 2 other PCI slots.

The key installed OK, and "model" reports rp3440, but we're still having problems with the PCI slots.

Slot 1 & 2 each have a Tachyon XL2 HBA.

After the upgrade, we attempted to install a LSI SCSI adapter in slot 3.

Prior to the upgrade, the system would not boot with this card installed. Now, it booted, but there were issues with a number of disks not being detected.

Since the server needed to be moved back to production, we had to immediately remove the card. I did not have time to diagnose or troubleshoot this issue further.

I was able to test the SCSI adapter in a different rp3440 sandbox this morning. This test box had an array controller in slot 1 and dual gig LAN adapters in slots 2 & 3. I tested the SCSI adapter in slot 4.

Firmware is 46.34 on both of these, BTW.

I suspect that there is an underlying hardware problem, but I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing this.

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
rick jones
Honored Contributor
Solution

"issues with a number of disks not being detected" - on the surface that seems to imply that _some_ discs were detected. Were any discs detected connected to the LSI SCSI adapter? If so, it would seem to suggest the slot itself is working.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Charles Slivkoff
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the response Rick.

It turns out that there were a number of problems, none of which were the new HBA or the upgrade.

The FC disks were detected, but paths had changed, so DSFs were wrong. I fixed this with vgexport/vgimport. Also, one of the FC devices, a tape library, had a bad drive. This has been replaced.

Besides that, I also replaced 2 SCSI cables. This helped a lot, but I still have a problem with a tape library, attached to the new HBA that I'm taking up with the HW vendor.

-Charles

Charles Slivkoff
Respected Contributor

Resolved.