New Discussion юеВ

Firmware Upgrade on 9000/800/rp3440 11.11 Version

SOLVED
Go to solution
Indrajit Bhagat
Regular Advisor

Firmware Upgrade on 9000/800/rp3440 11.11 Version

Hi All

I am quite new in Upgrading the firmware, I had an HP-Unix Server model 9000/800/rp3440 11.11 Version, I need to upgrade the firmware, Could you please share the procedure how it can be done.
6 REPLIES 6
sangilak
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Firmware Upgrade on 9000/800/rp3440 11.11 Version

Hi,

Detailed installation instructions can be found in the Readme file for 'rp3410/rp3440 PDC, BMC, and iLO MP Firmware'. Check the webpage below for details:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=2512013&swItem=pf-92188-2&prodNameId=1828449&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1

sangilak
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I have not done this for a looooong time on my own. We always had it done under the h/w service agreement. And it is for a purpose. If something goes wrong, you can easily end up with a doorstop/brick in your hands rather than a server and the repair (main board replacement) may be costly. So proceed with caution

1. download the appropriate ISO image from HP. Image you need to d/l depends on your current and wanted code levels.

2. Burn ISO onto an optical media, using the slowest speed possible. YOu do not want it to fail just before it completes the operation.

3. Place the burned media into Optical drive of the server and reboot the server.

4. Halt the automatic boot process and have the server search for bootable devices. Select Optical ROM Drive and let it go.

5. Follow the on-screen menus and prompts.

Make sure your OS has the prerequisite patches installed for the new firmware to operate properly. Otherwise your system might become useless when you reboot it under new firmware and you might have hard time getting it to run again. So make sure you are patched correctly.

Hi Burlsan

Is that the only way to boot the server from ISO CD Image? Is there any alternatvie way.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Some firmware updates for add on cards, may come as a patch of some sort, but the PDC firmware patches are always either on a CD/DVD ROM, or you need to setup a TFTP server on your laptop and have them acquire it via TFTP but I never used TFTP method. I saw the HO tech did it via TFTP server on laptop more than once but I don't know the procedure for that. Sorry.

Download patch PHSS_41849, install is with swinstall as you do with other patches, and it will do everything for you.
Sit back and relax, but read the installation instructions before starting ! There could be really special pre or post install actions in it, or checks that you need to do before installing.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

There are 2 ways for updating the firmware:

1) bootable CD

2) patch

the patch will copy the firmware into the boot area and adjust the boot settings to boot the FW loader on next boot, then it reboots.

During this boot the loader will be started, the FW updated, the boot settings restored and the system reboots again, now to OS.

Done.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!