HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748139 Members
4085 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: GSP config through HP-UX

GSP config through HP-UX

Hi,
I recently moved a rp2410 to a remote site. I now cannot gain access to the gsp lan console.
I have managed to change the unix lan config through set_parms and can login to unix remotely.

Is there a way to access the gsp lan config from the unix login

-------------------------------

P.S. This Thread has been moved from Servers --> General to Servers --> HP 9000 - Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

To configure your GSP first time, you need to have a configured IP address for GSP and seperate lan cable to be hooked up at the server side. Once they are available then you need to be there at server console to configure it by pressing ctrl-B and then you can go from there.
Rick Gerlach

It depends. On some GSP hardware revisions, you can get onto it through an HP-UX session. For instance, the following works on revision "A" L1000 GSP's.

#!/bin/ksh

# Exploits (?) a backdoor in HP-UX allowing access to the GSP without using
# the console or the GSP LAN device

# We expect the name of the host to access the GSP on to be $1

#EXIST=`$REMSH $HOST -l root ls /dev/tty1p0 2>&1`
ll /dev/tty1p0
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
/usr/sbin/mknod /dev/tty1p0 c 1 0x010000
fi

echo "use Ctrl-\c to exit"

/usr/bin/kermit -l /dev/tty1p0 -b 9600 -c
~

from root I tried
#/usr/sbin/mknod /dev/tty1p0 c 1 0x010000
followed by
#/usr/bin/kermit -l /dev/tty1p0 -b 9600 -c

and got the response of:
/dev/tty1p0: No such device or address
can't open device

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

This feature is known as "GSP internal port". It was usable in GSP hardware version A, which was used in N-class and most L's. One use for it was to reset the GSP password, if it was forgotten.

The L3000:s and all rpXXXX-style servers seem to have either GSP hardware version B or C, or a more advanced MP/iLO instead of a GSP. These do not have this kind of internal port access. The ability to reset the password is arranged in a different way that requires you to use the *local* console for security.

I'm sorry, but it looks like you have to either travel to the site yourself or get someone you trust at the site to act as your "remote pair of hands".
MK
uxbeginner22
Trusted Contributor

Even the rx2620 didn't allow access?

I tried

kermit -l /dev/tty1p0 -b 9600 -c
Removing stale lock /var/spool/locks/LCK..tty1p0 (pid 7547 terminated)
Connecting to /dev/tty1p0, speed 9600
 Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled
Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
or followed by ? to see other options.
?Carrier required but not detected.
 Hint: To CONNECT to a serial device that
 is not presenting the Carrier Detect signal,
 first tell C-Kermit to:

SET CARRIER-WATCH OFF

C-Kermit 9.0.301 OPEN SOURCE:, 11 Jul 2011, for HP-UX 11.00
 Copyright (C) 1985, 2011,
  Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Type ? or HELP for help.

If i set carrier-watch off and then press c

nothing appear,the connection is hung

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Even the rx2620 didn't allow access?

Integrity uses MP.  The GSP was for older PA-RISC boxes, as said.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Since the GSP has the old address, you should be able to connect to the old address directly with a laptop, or perhaps with some switch vLAN setups. If not, then you need to reset the GSP with the button on the back and try the arp/ping method to set a new address. Depending the firmware version, the GSP may try to grab a DHCP address. You can check the DHCP server logs to see the assigned address. For the arp/ping method, you'll need the MAC address of the GSP port. Then using a PC, use a crossover cable to the GSP port (to avoid switch or DHCP issues) and run these commands:

arp -s <desired_new_GSP_IP_address>  <MAC_address_in_PC_format>
ping <desired_new_GSP_IP_address>

Then run telnet to connect to the GSP and you can then set the rest of the network values. Note that for newer Windows, telnet may have to be added from the Windows Features list.

The last method is to connect a serial crossover cable from the laptop to the 9pin console port.

Use ctrl-b to get the GSP's attention. Serial settings are 9600/8N1, no handshaking. No response probably means the cable needs a null-modem adapter to switch pins 2&3.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin