108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Console 700/96

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chushia
Frequent Advisor

HP Console 700/96

I do not get a login on the Console. It is connected to the server (9000/800/L1500-7x) OS HP-UX11i. How do I get it work ?

Thanks,
Chushia
5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Do you see 8 softkey labels at the bottom of your screen? Is one labeled remote and does it have a "*"?
When did it last work? Is the computer up?
Have you tried control-B?
Chushia
Frequent Advisor

I can bring out the 8 softkeys but I don't see this remote*. I didn't do Ctrl-B.

What I see is

Device, margin/tab, (empty), modes, enhance video, define fields, (empty), Config Keys.

Thanks,
Chushia
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Things to test:
- Press Enter one or two times, then wait a moment. Does anything appear to the display?

- Press Control-B. This should bring up the GSP access prompt. To return to console mode, use the "CO" command.

If nothing happens, there are a few common errors:

1.) wrong cable/connection

2.) incorrect settings on the 700/96

3.) the GSP of the server is stuck and needs a reset (and a firmware upgrade to stop it from happening again)

1.) Cable connection:
There are three ports at the back of a 700/96. The standard cable that comes with it has a 25-pin connector at one end and a 9-pin connector at the other end. Normally, the 25-pin connector is connected to the "port 1" of the 700/96.

The server should have a short "W cable" plugged into its 25-pin console connector. It has three 9-pin connectors, labeled "Console", "Remote" and "UPS". The 9-pin connector of the 700/96 should be connected to the "Console" connector.

2.) To reset the 700/96 to factory default settings, switch it off, hold down the "D" key, switch it on and wait for about 10 seconds, then release the key. This default configuration should be "good enough" to communicate with the server, but it isn't perfect. See Bill Hassell's instructions in this thread for fine-tuning the 700/96 configuration:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=628660

3.) If steps 1) and 2) did not solve the problem, the server's GSP may have become stuck.

If you can access the server through the network, login to the server and become root. Then use this command to reset the GSP:

stty +resetGSP
If you cannot login to the server, you must open the right side panel of the server. You can do this while the server is running. The GSP card is in the 2nd slot (counting from the bottom upwards). Near the edge of the GSP card are two clearly-marked buttons: one is labelled "TOC", the other "GSP RESET".

Pressing the TOC button will force the server to crash and create a crash dump, so don't do it.

Press the "GSP RESET" button and watch the LEDs at the back of the server, near the console connector. They should change for a moment, then return to their original state. If your console is still connected and powered on, you should see the GSP's copyright messages on it at this time.

If the reset button does not help, the GSP may have a hardware fault. The final way to try and reset the GSP requires shutting down the server and unplugging all three power cables for about 30 seconds.

If one of the reset procedures does work, check the GSP firmware version. It may be identified in the GSP reset messages printed out on the console. It is also available by pressing Ctrl-B on the console and entering the HE command (for HElp). The version number is visible on the top-most line of the help menu screen.

If the GSP firmware version number starts with the letter A, the latest version is A.01.12 (for the GSPs with hardware revision A). For revision B GSPs, the latest firmware is B.02.21. In my experience, the latest GSP firmwares are a lot more reliable than the very old ones.

MK
MK
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>What I see is
Device, margin/tab, (empty), modes, enhance video, define fields, (empty), Config Keys.

Pressing "modes" should bring up the "remote" key.
Chushia
Frequent Advisor

Awesome!

Thank you Matti, it works now.

I tried 2) by holding down 'D' key to bring back "Remote*"; Still no login.

I tried 3) accessing the server through Network to reset GSP. It worked. The version is B.02.20.

Thanks a million!
Chushia