108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP RP3440 CONSOLE PROBLEM

SOLVED
Go to solution
HP RX4640
Frequent Advisor

HP RP3440 CONSOLE PROBLEM

I fire up the server and all that comes up is a bunch of jumbled signs etc. for a lack of better words.... I reset the terminal and still the same issue I haven't a clue what it might be???
11 REPLIES 11
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

hi,

need more info.

are u accessing the rp3440 console from LAN?

or you have this white HP terminal hooked to rp3440 serial ports?

rhinoesterley
Advisor

If you're using a terminal - hit F5 or F6 - whatever one corresponds to Terminal Settings - it should drop you into a menu - in the lower right hand of the menu toggle down and select VT100 as a terminal setting. Your terminal is likely not set up for the newer systems.

Good luck

Chris
HP RX4640
Frequent Advisor

I'm using a 700/92 Terminal I have 3 x rp3440's it work on one but the other two are having this issue it does seem as though they are not set of for this terminal but i'm not sure how to validate that.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

the 700/92's are older terminals really and you would be better off in my opinion with a 700/96 if you have one.

that aside, it maybe the setting for the console in the GSP that are conflicting. these have to match the terminal type settings on the terminal itself.

the terminal should be vt100 or similar and set the same in the gsp as well, for example.

if you can change the terminal to vt100, not sure if the 92 has it. or try to get into the gsp and check the setting here. check with the ca command in gsp

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/A7137-96007/ch01s06.html?btnNext=next%A0%BB

Andy

HP RX4640
Frequent Advisor

I swaped out the MP card for another one and the console came up but now it hangs when I try to log in to console " console live" it hangs.. Not sure why or where to go from here...

HELP!!!!
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>now it hangs when I try to log in to console "console live" it hangs. Not sure why or where to go from here.

Have you used RS to reset and reboot? Any progress messages?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The 700/92 and 700/96 are identical as far as the GSP is concerned. However, there are two emulation modes in the GSP (the reason is badly obscured in non-HP-centric design ideas). One is the classic vt100 dumb terminal and the other is the HP smart terminal design. The emulation mode is set in the GSP. It is also possible that some really screwed up the settings in the GSP. A GSP reset should return the settings back to normal.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
HP RX4640
Frequent Advisor

I signed on through MP ON 700/92 console everthing appears to be ok until I sign in to " CO " the commands INFO / CO / SER etc. comes up but you can not type anything.

I can not hook up to a network and the server is not showing any errors..

Any ideas?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

When the CO command connects to the server, you are now on the console. If HP-UX has halted or is hung, that will be the symptom. There isn't any fix for the terminal -- it is working fine. It's HP-UX that is broken. If no one can connect to the machine on the standard network, you have no choice but to reboot. If you want to find out what happened, type CTRL-B then CM and TC. TC is the Transfer Of Control command and will force a dump of memory followed by a reboot. HP can analyze the dump to determine what happened. Otherwise type RS rather than TC to simply reset the computer so it can reboot.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin