New Discussion

HP RP3440 WON'T LOG INTO CONSOLE

SOLVED
Go to solution
HP RX4640
Frequent Advisor

HP RP3440 WON'T LOG INTO CONSOLE

Hello,

I hooked my 700/92 to my rp3440 the MP comes up I login Admin/Admin goes to MENU and from there I can't do much of anything it won't LOGIN to " CO " / Console where I need to go to setup boot check hardware status etc.

Any suggestions?
1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP RP3440 WON'T LOG INTO CONSOLE

Let's start with the general server status, first.

If you can access the main menu of the MP, use the VFP command to check the server state. What does it say? (The Virtual Front Panel is a bit more verbose than the real one.)

If the server seems to be running normally (not running boot self-tests etc.), can you log into it through the network? If you can, is there any processes running on the "console" terminal? Run "ps -ft console" to check.

If there is just one process named "getty", all should be well. You can kill that process if you wish: init should automatically start a new one.

If "ps -ft console" lists several processes, there is an old terminal session still active on the console. It may have left the port in a weird state. Use "kill -HUP" to remove those processes, and getty should automatically restart.

If there are no processes running on the console, your system is either seriously sick (init isn't working properly) or someone has removed the console line from /etc/inittab. Look into /usr/newconfig/etc/inittab to see what it *should* look like.

MK
MK