1748265 Members
3959 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP RP8420 WON'T BOOT TO MP

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Andrew, I don't know of any way of telling you this, except to suggest the majordomo deduct 200 points from you profile, and take a class.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

Michael, thanks for that??

maybe you could enlighten me as to what you mean? what have I suggested wrongly?

I am not a Master of the servers? and am willing to learn, so...

I was mearly enquring to the configuration of the server? have you ever used/configured one before?

It could be that the cards are in the wrong slots to work properly. Or it may not be connected to the primary core io?

each core IO card has its own MP.

From the link you posted with the service guide MP Core IO connection section

Each HP 9000 rp8420 server has at least one core I/O card installed. Each core I/O card has a management
processor (MP). If two core I/O cards are installed, this allows for two partitions to be configured or enables
core I/O redundancy in a single partition configuration. Each core I/O card is oriented vertically and accessed
from the back of the server.

Andy

Sherif A. Louis
Valued Contributor

just to support Andrew, Michael. all midrange cell based systems starting from the rp74xx to rx86xx have multiple core ios. on the rp8400 for example you have 4 cells with 2 core/ios the second being optional if u are using a 2 npar system. if u have an SEU then u can install 4 core ios and thus have up to four npars. each core io has it's own MP which can act as a secondary to the primary MP. I believe on some later models the core io supported failover.

I was asking jim to use the second MP on the second core i/o if present

thank you
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Find one citation of one HP server with redundent MP's as you and Andrew are contending.
Sherif A. Louis
Valued Contributor

though i think this is a waste of time
this is from an internal hp document:

The Core I/O board has two functions:
1. To provide the base set of I/O functions required by each system partition. Each partition must
have at least one Core I/O board in order to boot. Both Core I/O boards may be present within
a single partition.
2. To provide system manageability. The Core I/O contains the management processor (MP),
which acts as a fully autonomous embedded device for controlling the system console, reset
and power management functions. Only one of the MPs on the installed Core I/O boards works
(Master MP); by default this is MP 0 on Core I/O 0.
-------
All new systems, even Keystone, will be shipped with this Core I/O. On the new Core I/O the
failover feature is present for Olympia and Rainier (NOT for Keystone!). Until FW 3.01 for Olympia
and 2.0 for Rainier this feature is enabled by default. Because of some problems with this feature, it
is disabled by default for any MP FW ├в ┬в A.006.012 (FW bundles: ├в ┬в4.0 for Olympia and ├в ┬в3.0 for
Rainier). Do not enable the failover, it is not supported anymore. It├в s also recommended to not
install any LAN cable to an inactive MP.
------

this is from the rp8400 service guide p.2
├в ┬в One fail-over service processor per core I/O card.

noting that, if you don't know, the service processor is the Management Processor (MP)
Sherif A. Louis
Valued Contributor

rp8400 service guide p.22
When the server is configured for two partitions, it must contain two core I/O boards, one for each partition. It
will thus also contain two MPs. In this case, the MP in slot 0 is the master MP and provides all of the server
management functions. The MP on the core I/O board in slot 1 is a slave MP and redirects the operating
system gettys to the master MP over an internal MP-to-MP link. All external connections to the MP must be
to the master MP in slot 0. The slave MP ports will be disabled.
In the event of a master MP failure, the slave MP automatically becomes the master MP.

I hope this is enough!!
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Sherif

I'm sorry its not. Yours and Andrews answers are asking for the CU initiate a manual High Availability action,

"...how many MPs do u have on this server? if you have a secondary MP try to switch to that one..."

...when this is an automatic function.

He has no MP, either in slot 0 or 1, master or slave.

Your other postings about the keystone even say this is not realiable and unsupported.

http://docs.hp.com/en/AB297-9013A_ed5/AB297-9013A_ed5.pdf

Sherif A. Louis
Valued Contributor

I asked him to try to connect to that MP, as it the primary might have failed and the secondary is operating! on keystone, the older core i/os with older firmwares didn't support the failover feature, though the service guide says it does on later firmware versions...