HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1751845 Members
5202 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP3000 Upgrade Details Required

Jimmy Murrat

HP3000 Upgrade Details Required

Can anyone point me to specific and detailed information regarding the upgrading of 996/400 to 997/400?

Thank you,
Jim Murray
2 REPLIES 2
Marco Suerig
Advisor

Re: HP3000 Upgrade Details Required

Please try the following URL for general information about the 997

http://www.mpeixservers.hp.com/997/specs.html

and download the technical data sheet pdf-file (16 pages) for thorough information, including upgrades and their product numbers.
Kwan Fong, Emile
Honored Contributor

Re: HP3000 Upgrade Details Required

The 997 system is very similar to the prior 996/995/992/991/990 systems, but the 997 introduces one new hardware layer, a new
bus converter, between the Central System Bus and the NIO bus.

For example, a typical SCSI Disc Device I/O configuration on previous systems might be described by the following I/O path:

2/52.3.0
^ ^ ^ ^
| | | |
| | | +--- LUN (logical unit number)
| | +----- TARGET (SCSI bus controller
| | address)
| +------- DA Slot address (SCSI Device
| Adapter address)
+---------- Top-Level Bus Converter Slot
address

For the 997, the new bus converter is added just below the top-level bus converter of the previous systems, ALWAYS at the fixed slot address (decimal) 28. So the same SCSI disk on Jade will be located at the following I/O path:

2/28/52.3.0
^
|
+---------- new Bus Converter address.

All other I/O path elements remain just the same.

The IOCNVRT utility has been developed to simplify the task of upgrading a customer's existing 996/995/992/991/990 into a 997
system, by automating the process of I/O path conversions that must be carried out via SYSGEN in order to produce a usable I/O
configuration for the 997.

Instead of manually running SYSGEN and, via SYSGEN's I/O configuration commands, manually changing all of the relevant previous I/O paths into 997 I/O paths, a user (System Manager) can use the IOCNVRT facility to create a new S997 configuration group automatically from an existing, valid configuration group.

In addition to IOCNVRT, this patch also provides the JADETOOL utility, which performs a similar conversion on the networking configuration in the NMCONFIG file.

MPEJXY5 is the patch which provides IOCNVRT/JADETOOL utilities on MPEiX release 5.5. It is first included in powerpatch C.55.04. On MPE/iX release 6.0 or greater, no patch is required.

More details are available in the MPE/iX 6.0 Communicator, chapter 2 (System Information and preparation, Upgrading a pre-997 Corporate Business Server to a 997). The 6.0 communicator is available at http://docs.hp.com.
King is the customer!