Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
HP 9000 and HP e3000 Servers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way of telling that a dat tape is inserted in the drive

Frank Nikoletti_1
Occasional Visitor

Is there a way of telling that a dat tape is inserted in the drive

I want to be able to check pror to initiating the backup that a tape has been inserted in the tape drive ... and abort the backup if it hasn't.

I can use DEVCTRL.MPEXL.TELESUP to put the tape on-line - but it doesn't tell me enquire as to whether the tape is inserted in the drive
2 REPLIES
Kwan Fong, Emile
Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a way of telling that a dat tape is inserted in the drive

Hello Frank,

To check if there is a tape loaded into the tape drive, use the :showdev command, "(Nolabel)" is listed, this usually indicates a tape is loaded. If you have qedit (3rd party text editor from Robelle) on your system, you can use the following script to test if a tape is inserted:

!continue
!devctrl.mpexl.telesup 7 load=online
!continue
!pause 60
!continue
!showdev 7 > tmp7
!run qedit.pub.robelle;parm=128;info="list tmp7 '(Nolabel)'"
!if qeditcount = 0 then
! tellop
! tellop No tape loaded in ldev#7
! tellop no backup will be done
! tellop
!else
! file t;dev=7
! store @.@.@;*t;show;directory;progress=5
!endif
King is the customer!
Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a way of telling that a dat tape is inserted in the drive

Frank,

I believe that there are only three ways to verify if a tape is loaded.

1. Watch the two blinking lights.
2. Watch for the tape mounted message on the console.
3. Do a :SHOWDEV TAPE in session.

Emile has already provided a good script for testing. I'd only modify it do do a $NULL store rather than @.@.@.

My $.04 for infaltion,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"