3189 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L1000 black out after memory change

reneguy_1
Advisor

L1000 black out after memory change

Hello,

I have one L1000 with 4GB RAM (8x512MB) and one L1500 with 1GB (4x256MB). I have put the L1000 RAM into the L1500 and the L1500 RAM into the L1000.

The L1500 work fine but the L1000 does not boot and nothing appear at the console. I've put the memory in slot 0A 0B 1A 1B in the L1000. As there's no feedback, i don't really know what's happen ;-(

Any idea?

Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are you sure the memory modules you installed are supported in the L1000?

What HP part numbers are the memory modules?
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are you sure the memory modules you installed is supported in the L1000?

What HP part numbers are the memory modules?
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

try and re seat the memory dimms and just install 0a/b first and then if that works 1a/b

its worth double checking the slots aswell that you think are 0ab/1ab? there not next to each other

Andy
reneguy_1
Advisor

Hello all,

I don't know if the memory are compatible or not. I was expected to see some hw errors message at the console (memory not compatible or something else...) but nothing happend.

This week, I will try to reseat the dimms and just in 0a/b.

Bye
reneguy_1
Advisor

hello all,

I have reseat memory, only in 0A0B with the "new" RAM and olso with the "old" ones. Nothing.

I'm wondering if something bad has happen to the gsp card: with another L1500, as soon as I plug the power cord, gsp information appears on console. With the L1000, console remains empty. Can an bad gsp card prevent host from booting?

Thanks.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Is your GSP functional?

Do you receive anything from the GSP (try a power cycle of the srver and make sure your connectivity and terminal settings are OK).

>< Can an bad gsp card prevent host from booting?

The server may boot, if autoboot is set, but without GSP you don't have console output.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
reneguy_1
Advisor

Hello,

I receive nothing from the GSP (that's why i'm thinking the gsp is bad, probably something wrong happen when i take the server out of the rack).

When i power cycle the server, the power led is ok, the rest remain off. FC, lan, scsi cards led are up as if the server has booted. The run led remain off.

Bye.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

yes a dead gsp card will stop anything from been dispalyed as this is your console also.

did you unplug the cables before you removed it from the rack? are you sure the local console is connected to the correct port on the 3 way cable? you could try changing this? or can you get to the console over lan? through to the gsp?

first would be to try and reset the gsp card. remove the side cover and there is a button on the card press and hold this and see if a prompt appears on the console then

how many psu are installed? are they all showing green led on front? and does the server fans run when powered on

andy
reneguy_1
Advisor

Hello,

Well, i have forgotten to unplug the 3w cable... I've tried different thing like: change the 3w cables, try the different port on the cable to be sure that i'm not dreaming ;-), reset the gsp inside...

The console over the lan has never been configured, so i can not get this way.
What do you mean by "through to the gsp"?

As i say before, it looks like the server is running as all the leds (power in the front, disk, scsi/fc/lan card, and also the gsp led) are green, except the "Running" led which is off. All fans run.

Guy