1752591 Members
3635 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L2000 new hard drive

Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

L2000 new hard drive

I have an L2000 server with HP-UX 11.0 OS. The server currently has two 9.1GB harddrives installed in slots A1 & B1. I need some more disk space so I am going to add two more drives into the server. I have two 73GB harddrives that I want to install into the server in the open slots which is A0 & B0.

Am I going to have a problem when I install the new harddrives by putting them into the A0 & B0 slots? Is there anything I need to be concerned with when I install the hard drives?
8 REPLIES 8
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

No, you should not have any problems.

The system will detect the drives and, either via a reboot or the insf command, assign appropriate c?t?d0 device files.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

a) Do they fit?
B) Did the manufacturer say they were compaitible with a L2000?
c) You're going to have to ignite from scratch to get all 73 gb out of these drives. Else, you will be locked into using only 9 gb since this is what vg00 is currently configured for.
d) Follow a Ignite cloning procedure,

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1418780

See my resposnes, read carefully as the subject is different, (* igniter versions mismatch *) but the answers are in general the same.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
lbseraph
Advisor

Should not have problem, just run commands "ioscan" and then "insf -e" if online install or just install them offline.

And L2000 supported 73GB disk, some disks info. as below:

73GB HotPlug Disk 10K A6091-69001 ST173404LC
73GB HotPlug U160 Disk 10K A6738-69002 ATLAS10K3_73_SCA, MAN3735MC U160
73GB HotPlug Ultra320 15k A9761-69001 ST373453LC
73GB Hot Plug Disk 10k A6276-69002 HP 73.2GMAN3373MC, HP 73.2GMAP3735NC
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

c) You're going to have to ignite from scratch to get all 73 gb out of these drives. Else, you will be locked into using only 9 gb since this is what vg00 is currently configured for.

Note that this will be a problem unless you account for it during the swap out.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>c) You're going to have to ignite from scratch to get all 73 gb

True, if you want them to be part of VG00.

If you create a new VG with the 73 GB disks there wouldn't be a problem.
Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

Thanks for all the responses. I was able to put the two drives into the server and they were both found.

I was planning on creating a vg02 and putting the two drives in to it.

The problem I am having now is that I did a cold install of HP-UX 11.23 on the two 9GB drives (vg00) and now I am not able to connect to the server via Reflections. Actually I can not even ping the server so I might have not had a good OS installation. I am using the webconsole to connect to the server right now. I am going to try to reinstall the OS again today. If I can not resolve this issue then I will have to open another call.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> The problem I am having now is that I did a cold install of HP-UX 11.23 on the two 9GB drives (vg00) and now I am not able to connect to the server via Reflections. Actually I can not even ping the server so I might have not had a good OS installation.

The installation is probably just fine -- I wouldn't waste time starting over. Your only problem (so far) is your network setup. Always ping by IP address first and from a system that is on the same subnet. If that works, then ping'ing by hostname is a local problem on your PC. You must supply an IP address, subnet mask and gateway address. To do this with your current system, run these commands:

set_parms ip_address
set_parms addl_netwrk

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

HI

Run

'set_parms initial'

Have all your DNS ip addresses, NTP, default Gateway, hostname, ip of server, etc. collected ahead of time.

To test connectivity to the network
a) ping hostname
b) ping ip address of your server
If these work then the NIC is up with the correct driver
c) ping default gateway
If this fails then check your cables, ie, to the switch.
d) verify same speed and duplex to switch from your nic.
landadmin -x #