108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MP reset button on rp4440 has amber light lit

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Keys
Regular Advisor

MP reset button on rp4440 has amber light lit

Couldn't LAN connect to MP on one of my rp4440's. Hooked up console cable and was able to log in. Issued a SL command to display logs. No return...MP hung. As soon as I pushed MP reset button on back of server, amber light next to it came on. I held button in for a few seconds but the amber light will not turn off and I can't connect to MP via console.

Is this indicative of a faulty MP?
5 REPLIES 5
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Maybe not, try removing AC, wait 30 seconds, then reconnect AC. Sometimes pushing the MP reset too rapidly will actually hang the MP in other similar systems and removing the power usually clears this. Some of these issues were addressed with Firmware updates.

MP Self Test LED Amber On > The Management Processor is executing the internal self test.

Have you tried a hard power reset?

hth,

Mike Keys
Regular Advisor

No. This is a server which can't be rebooted on a whim. Requires downtime notification. My worry is that there is an issue with the MP and that the server wont come back up if I reboot.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

It could well be that the MP is bad, and this will require downtime.

you could try and query the mp from HPUX

# stty +queryGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1

and then possibly perform a reset this way too

# stty +resetGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1

you will still need to be at the local console to confirm the reset? but worth a go

Andy
Mike Keys
Regular Advisor

I ran the first stty command to query and it says the GSP needs to be reset. However, the stty command seems hung now and I can't kill the process. The GSPdiag1 file is in use by the query command and until this file is free I can't run the reset command.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

> I ran the first stty command to query and it says the GSP needs to be reset. However, the stty command seems hung now and I can't kill the process. The GSPdiag1 file is in use by the query command and until this file is free I can't run the reset command.

This pretty much identifies a bad MP board. You will never be able to kill the query process because it is waiting for I/O to the MP to complete and there is no timeout. Schedule a maintenance time to shutdown the server and replace the MP board. If you have lots of time, you could take down the server, then upgrade the MP firmware and try running the server for a while.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin