HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748050 Members
4867 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need help Connecting a J1470A Monitor and Keyboard to an RP4440

Need help Connecting a J1470A Monitor and Keyboard to an RP4440

I have a RP4440 -8 1GHz CPU HP-UX 11i v2, with a A6150B HP 2D Graphics Card installed and need to connect a HP J1470A Monitor, Keyboard With track ball mouse to this server and have it work. I have a USB to PS/2 connector for the Keybd/mouse to the server's USB port. I just purchased this from a HP Var and they said it was setup by HP and shipped to me but they did not connect or test the monitor/keybd/mouse and it is not working on this server for me. I have connected them to a window's server and they work. When I connect M/K/mouse to the RP4440 I do not have anything displayed on the screen and nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have any experience with this and can you provide help?
9 REPLIES 9
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Re: Need help Connecting a J1470A Monitor and Keyboard to an RP4440

Hi Michael,

Do you mean to say no display as well? Or ir's just your keyboard and mouse are not working?

Did you check by conencting a USB keyboard and USB mouse connected directly to the rear side USB ports?

Also I must ask you whether the CDE is correctly configured in HP-UX or not.

Display/keybd and mouse are all not working. I have checked all connections, and yes the keybd/mouse are connected to the USB port via a USB to PS/2 adapter cable.

I do not know if CDE is enabled as I have not been able to get on the server. I'm trying to find out where and how to hook up a C1099A CONSOLE MONITOR to get on the server so I can see what is going on, but this is different than my rp54xx servers. I am looking at online docs to see how to do this too. If you know please do fill me in. Thanks.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The console is still assigned to the MP and I think you cannot change this.

The only thing you can change is to use the VGA card as a X terminal in init level 3.

Check /etc/dt/config/Xservers.
If last line is commented out as follows:

# * Local local@console /usr/bin/X11/X :0

remove '# ' and restart dtlogin:

# /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc stop
# /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc start

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Thank you, I will check that out after I figure out how to connect the Console monitor to the server. Then I can check that out.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Just plug the terminal into the "MP local" port and press CTRL B - this should connect you to the MP.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Hi Michael,

Yes, this box is different from your old L-class system.

As correctly indicated by Torsten, the console is still with MP it seems. You need to configure the MP first using a serial cable or using the arp ping utility.

Please see the procedure (arp ping) as below: http://docs.hp.com/en/AD117-9001A/ch06s05.html

(If you have a serial cable, attach one end of the same to the MP serial port located in the rear side of the system and the other end your PC/Laptop. Settings willl be 9600,n,8,1. (For further details on configuring the MP, please see the below URL:
http://www.dectrader.com/docs/set2/RP4440-OPERMAINT.pdf)

The login details are Admin/Admin (case sensitive).

OS console is accessible by the command 'co' from the MP> prompt.

You need to ensure first that the OS is running without any issue, before coming to the display section.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

Did you just install the card or the usb card as well? you only need the vga card for the rp4440

see this note

http://docs.hp.com/en/A6150-90001/A6150-90001.pdf

Also is the adapter (usb/ps2) a HP one or generic? HP sell one with part number A7782A for use with the servers.

the vga port will only work in HPUX as well. not as a boot console, you will still need to use the default MP.

once installed even if cde is not installed/configured it should still display the yellow boxes on the screen to simulate a terminal.

Andy

OK, this server is really different. Viveki - I can not get to the http://www.dectrader.com/docs/set2/RP4440-OPERMAINT.pdf) link, it must be internal to you and not accessable outside.
What do I need to do once I get into the MP so that I can boot this server up and then be able to get the the command line for the OS? Thanks, I need to get up to speed with this fast. FedEx has lost most of our shipment so I have some time to learn how this all works.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What is your current status?

Can you boot up?

Can you access MP?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.