New Discussion

Offline Diagnostics media for rp5470

SOLVED
Go to solution
meekrob
Super Advisor

Offline Diagnostics media for rp5470

Gurus,

i ve been searching HP website (software depot) lately in order to download ODE (Offline Diagnostics Environment) cd for rp5470 server or the Support Plus media or any utility that i can use offline in order to test its hardware. I need to do such tests urgently and i can not wait HP support. I guess im facing RAM DIMM issue and i have 2 memory carriers in that server and i need to get this defective DIMM among all. All what i found on HP's website are tools related to integrity architectures:   hp software depot website -> and i typed "PA Offline Diagnostic" -> the page only displays versions relative to integrity servers.

Any idea / suggestion please as this server is really critical to me.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Offline Diagnostics media for rp5470

If your system had the STM diagnostics installed on it before year 2005 or so, the offline diagnostics might already be on your system - they used to came with the STM bundle and were automatically installed to the boot LIF.

Later, the Offline Diagnostics were separated from the STM bundle to allow Itanium to have more extended off-line diagnostics. But updating an already-installed STM to a newer version did not remove the offline diagnostics from the boot LIF.

Is the system bootable at all? If you can boot it, you might be able to use the on-line STM diagnostics to check the Page Deallocation Table values. They are stored in NVRAM and are persistent. If most of the existing PDT entries refer to the same DIMM, that DIMM would be my first suspect.

And of course there is the troubleshooter's old standby, the binary search. split the memory into two sets, and test them one at a time (i.e. test the system with only one memory carrier installed). When you identify the carrier with a problem, split its DIMMS into two piles and test them one at a time. Repeat splitting the set that contains the fault and testing until you get down to a single DIMM. (On the last round, you'll have to borrow a known-good DIMM from the already-tested group, since you must install DIMMs in pairs.)

MK