1748240 Members
3615 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PA-RISC server "sleep mode"

Benjamin Morrilll
Occasional Contributor

PA-RISC server "sleep mode"

For what ever reason the server keeps going into sleep mode and someone physically has to go press the power button to тАЬwake it upтАЭ.

I have found some thing for Solaris systems... /ect/power.conf but i have not found anything that governs this in HP-UX 11i v1 Operating Environments. Please let me know if anyone has i direction i should be going in.
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Sleep mode? There is nothing like this.

Events like overtemp can force a shutdown and power off.

Check the logs!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

never heard of "sleep mode" outside of Windows.

If you're running a powertrust ups, I suppose its possible that it's seeing power failures and issuing a shutdown.

check the syslog / OLDsyslog and shutdown logs to see if you've messages related to power issues.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

You're sure this is a PA_RISC server? What does the "model" command give you?

Pete

Pete
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Can you define "sleep mode"?

Do you mean that the computer stops responding to you on the network? Don't wake up the computer with the power button! You need to attach a real terminal to the console port and determine whether the machine has crashed, has a hardware failure, or the network has been shutdown. It may also be a problem with dead gateway detection where someone has turned off ping response on your gateway/router. HP-UX (11.11) will turn off networking if ping to any gateway fails after a few minutes. However, the console will work OK and can be used to turn off the detection.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I would check /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log, OLDsyslog.log and /etc/shutdownlog to see if there are any messages concerning this.

If there is a UPS that you are using, look for any messages from the UPS as well. These might be in syslog.log or they might be in their own log file, though I'm not sure what that would be.