5148 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RP2470 test environment

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ji┼Щ├н Jurek

RP2470 test environment

Our customer has a HA cluster of 2 RP2470 servers in production. He requires software upgrade of OS, middleware(Oracle DBMS) and application software. Since it is production environment, which can be offline only overnight, i want to purchase identical hardware(which is available as refurbished under $5000) for testing. Then i want to make offline copy of all disks and run copy on test HW. After upgrade I want swap all disks from test HW to production.
Is it possible to do it this way?
What about licencing issues?
Would you suggest another solution?
Server software:
HP-UX 11.11
Enterprise Cluster Master Toolkit
HP Cluster Object Manager
ServiceGuard Manager
Base VERITAS Volume Manager Bundle 3.5 for HP-UX
Oracle DBMS 9.02
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: RP2470 test environment

>>software upgrade of OS,

What are you upgrading to? The rp2470 can run 11.23 but it can NOT run 11.31.
Ji┼Щ├н Jurek

Well, I thought 11.31 does support rp2470, thank you for this information.
So there will be no OS upgrade, just Oracle DBMS from 9.2 to 10.2.
But I still need to copy production environment to test one and back. The probles is the production environment, which can be offline only overnight. The best scenario, I can imagine is, that I'll work with 2 sets of disks. One original set and one copy and when something go wrong, i can still go with working original set.
So is it possible to make such copy and have it working on another identical system?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Should be OK but the working word is "identical". That means the same exact I/O cards (LAN, disk, fibre) in the same slots and the same external disk hardware.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ji┼Щ├н Jurek

I think a can handle minor hardware differencies. What I am afraid of are licence issues e.g. Oracle, Veritas, .. In short, software, which refuses to run, if it finds different serial numbers of cpu/hdd/mb ... If this is not an issue, I thank you for answers and I am closing this thread.