108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RP8400 Cell 0 blocked on power on state

higo
Frequent Advisor

RP8400 Cell 0 blocked on power on state

Hi,

Our RP8400 has 1 Cell with 2 proc and 8Go RAM,
After Power On, the Cell0 still on power on state. trying different commands (RE, RS BO) nothing happend, thanks for any reply
10 REPLIES 10
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: RP8400 Cell 0 blocked on power on state

Cell 0 and I/O chassis 0 appear to be working normally. Cell 1 and I/O chassis have faults. There is not enough information here to determine anything more. From the MP prompt, type commands:

sl
e
n

(which are: sl=Show Logs, e=errors, n=no filter). Hit return several times to get additional lines from the logs.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
higo
Frequent Advisor

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your reponse, you are right the command sl gives some errors.

0 CLMP 0 *2 0x585008238d01404f 0x00006e041c082a25 HIOPB_POWER_FAULT

what solution ?

thanks

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

from the MP look at the output from the PS command. check the power status of the io chassis and cabinet.

looks like you could have a fault with one of the PCI power supplies located at the front of the server. or physically look at the colour of the led's on the psu.

Andy
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The PCI card cage power supplies are side-by-side on the front of the 8400, right next to the internal disks and tape/DVD (if any). You can replace the failing power supply with one of your spares or call HP for service.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
higo
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks you all, output of the ps command fount in the attached file hope that gives more informartion about the error.

thanks
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

HIOPB stands for IO back plane power board. so you should check PCI cage power supplies first,take off front bezel and you will find two power supplies right under disks, are their green lights on?
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

another thing, it is not usual that CELL 0 stayed at power on state, how about CELL 1? I once run into a situation, CELLs stayed at power on state, and I need to upgrade PDC firmware to fix it.
higo
Frequent Advisor

Thanks,

could you be more precise Stephen. any doc ?

thanks
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

well a few things from your otuput.

1, is there a reason that your sides and top of the server are all open? the fans in the server will be going nuts trying to keep the server cool.

2, the power cords? you only have 2 connected, i cannot remember for sure but you may want to check the correct cabling? you may need one is the a side and one in the b side. not 2 in the A side?

3, cell board 1, which wont power on, seems to have no cpu's? as there is only one fan listed for the cell, for the controller chip in the cell board.

4, you only have one MP board installed? to power io chassis 1 you will need another MP i seem to remember. one MP card installed per IO chassis.

are you just trying to configure the server? was it working like this before?

first i would shut the covers, then change the power cords or add more and look at getting another MP card. The power cords wrong may not allow any power to the IO chassis 1

Andy