Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
HP 9000 and HP e3000 Servers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote/lan console connection to k420

SOLVED
Go to solution
Keith Winger
Occasional Advisor

Remote/lan console connection to k420

I have assumed management of an old hp9000 k420 server and need to know what my options for connecting a remote console to it are. Does it have a LAN console like more recent models?

I have attached a picture of the core/IO module.

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES
rick jones
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Remote/lan console connection to k420

That goes back a ways... The K Series have no LAN console. Just the serial console. Stretching the DIMM wetware memory I believe there was a "remote console" serial port - that was intended to be connected to a modem to allow HP service folks to dial-in to the system to troubleshoot.

Around that timeframe there was an "HP Secure Web Console" device - it was in effect a single-port terminal server with a web interface. That was often deployed to allow someone to "access the console over a network." That suggests what is pretty much the only way to access a K Series' console via a network - by using a terminal server.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Keith Winger
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I was able to find an HP Secure Web Console and have ordered one. It was only $60 including shipping.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I'm impressed you were able to find one. FWIW, I suspect that just about any old (reverse) terminal server would do.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The K-series has only a serial console. The Web Console is simply a terminal emulator with a web page that connects to the serial port. Be careful about the network you use with this box. It is NOT a secure device (despite its name), just as SAN switches, LAN switches, and other appliances with serial ports are not secure. Treat the console network as a high security risk, requiring specialized access methods (no routing).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin