New Discussion юеВ

Retrieval of N / L Class Serial Numbers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Retrieval of N / L Class Serial Numbers

Hi Folks:
S/N's on the N-Class server are located on the right side as you face the SPU and can be seen after removing the bottom side panel. But I've got HA production SPU's right up against it. Is it save to roll them out / back while up?

Also, where are the S/N's on L2000s?
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
12 REPLIES 12
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Re: Retrieval of N / L Class Serial Numbers

Hi,

you can lookup the serial numbers of A- N and L-Class Servers online by running the information tool with the Support Tools Manager (stm) on the first device named "system".
This command line (one line !, root) gives back the model number:

echo "\nsel d 1\ninfo\nwait\nil\n\nexit\n\n" | cstm | grep "System Serial"

It should also work on Matterhorn, Keystone and Superdome Servers.

Best regards

Stefan Stechemesser

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, L Class servers notoriously don't list their serial numbers in STM. However, thank-you for the cstm command, it works quite well on my N4000's.

Consequently, I am still seeking a way to find the S/N of a L class.

Thanks.
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

The serial number on the L-Class is most typically located under the front cover on the upper left corner. Please see the following link to a system inventory script provided as a contributed utility from HP ESSO. "Sysinfo" is a wonderful utility that will provide te serial number on your L-Class as well as your N-Class. Download the "attached" script from Bill McNamara.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x3820eea29889d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

Hope this helps,

Dave

Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Frederick,
I'm afraid that you are not right. L-Class server do support the functionality on read the serial number of the FRU-ID EEPROM on the system card. If your L-Class doesn't show anything is your SN not set.
If you don't want to use STM, but the diagnostics is installed, you can use the attached program
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

If you rely solely on what the system reports for a S/N, then you are probably safe 99% of the time. If the system board is ever replaced that "supposed" system number is going to change.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi

There is a script called as sysinfo whci is genrally with HP CE's , thsi willget you the serial nos too. for L class Servers.

Manoj Srivastava
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

David seems to have it. I'll look into sysinfo.

If there's a way of loading the S/N via the GSP and you know how to load it then that would be nice to know.

I've never seen the S/N change during a motherboard swap out. There might be some confusion about the machine identification number which does change when the motherboard has been swapped out. This can be viewed via uname -i. S/N's usually begin with USM or US.

And again, L Class servers notoriously don't get stamped with their S/N's, nor display there S/N's via STM nor print_manifest nor via pdcinfo and sysinfo I'll have to look into.

Thanks Again All!
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

PS to Patrick: You're attachement is not available.

The URL you requested, /cm/components/FileAttachment/0,,0xb8146049dbb6d611abdb0090277a778c,00.C:patrick , does not exist or is not retrievable at this HP IT Resource Center Web site
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Frederick,
The serial number of the L-Class is stored in an EEPROM on the systemcard. If the systemcard has been changed, the CE has to set the serial number new. In case the serial number is not set you find an entry like this in the GSP error logs:
SOURCE: 3 = PDH
SOURCE DETAIL: 0 = unknown, no source stated SOURCE ID: 0
PROBLEM DETAIL: 0 = no problem detail
CALLER ACTIVITY: 2 = config STATUS: 0
CALLER SUBACTIVITY: 7B = implementation dependent
REPORTING ENTITY TYPE: 0 = system firmware REPORTING ENTITY ID: 01
0x48001860300027B0 20424144 53534E23 type 9 = ASCII Message SSN# BAD
0x58001860300027B0 0000630A 1E090D0E type 11 = Timestamp 11/30/1999 09:13:14

It wasn't a good idea to attach an executable to my last answer. If you are interested in the program let me know, I can sent it to you via e-mail
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data