HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1751691 Members
4775 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Root Disk Location on a RP 4440 (PA RISC)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

Root Disk Location on a RP 4440 (PA RISC)

HP-UX Server Administrators:

Does anybody have a diagram of a RP 4440? I need to co-related the path of one of my failed root disks. I tried "dd" to make the working on flicker but the working one is always flickerring and I dont want to pull the wrong disk. Here are the details of the failed disk (marked in bold). Any input would be most appreciated.

# lssf /dev/dsk/c2t1d0
sdisk card instance 2 SCSI target 1 SCSI LUN 0 section 0 at address ??? /dev/dsk/c2t1d0
# lssf /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
sdisk card instance 2 SCSI target 0 SCSI LUN 0 section 0 at address 0/1/1/0.0.0 /dev/dsk/c2t0d0

P.S. This thread has been moved from Servers > General to Servers > HP 9000 - HP Forums Moderator 

3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Root Disk Location on a RP 4440 (PA RISC)

The good disk c2t0d0 is in hardware path 0/1/1/0.0.0, which refers to the bottom disk slot (slot 0) in the front panel of the rp4400.

The hardware path for the bad disk is not indicated in your lssf output, but the fact that the device node is c2t1d0 indicates

it's on the same controller as the good one, and only the target number is different. So the missing hardware path is 0/1/1/0.1.0. That path refers to the top slot (slot 1) in the front panel.

Attached is a document someone once posted to the old ITRC Forums. It includes the slot <-> HWpath diagrams for many newer PA-RISC servers (essentially all the PA-RISC servers that are relevant with HP-UX 11.31).

MK
Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

Thanks a billion, Matti. This is a very useful doc. I appreciate you taking the time and thanks for sharing.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The rp4440 / rx4640 are somthing special.

Both can have both internal disks on a single bus (simplex configuration) or each disk on its own bus (duplex configuration).

The h/w path of the upper disk is always

0/1/1/0.1.0    

but the lower is

0/1/1/0.0.0 in simplex

or

0/1/1/1.0.0 in duplex

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!