New Discussion юеВ

Superdome cabinets linking

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ivan Rogovskiy
Advisor

Superdome cabinets linking

Hi !!
How can I interconnect two Superdome's cabinets? What cables do I need? And what is the maximum distance between cabinets can be?

Thanks !
9 REPLIES 9
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: Superdome cabinets linking

hi,

check this links :

"Managing Superdome Complexes: A Guide for HP-UX System Administrators: HP 9000 Computers"

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90702/index.html

"User Service Guide: HP Integrity Superdome/sx2000 and HP 9000 Superdome/sx2000 Servers"

http://docs.hp.com/en/A9834-9001D_ed6/index.html

mikap
Ivan Rogovskiy
Advisor

I found that these cables needed:

USB cable (P/N A5201-63058)
5├в flex cables (set of six)
8├в flex cables (set of two)

Does it meen that I couldn't connect cabinets over a long distance ?
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

The processor cabinets should be physically bolted together: there is no extra length in the interconnect cables at all.

There are hard physical limits: if you have a 1 GHz processor, even light in vacuum can travel only 30 cm during one clock cycle. *Nothing* can travel faster than that. An electrical signal in copper and semiconductors is slower than light in vacuum. So, any extra length in the cables would have a significant impact to the timing of the signals going between the cabinets: you can't just replace the standard interconnect cables with longer ones.

And at least with older Superdome SD32000/SD64000 models, you cannot interconnect just any two cabinets: there are "left" and "right" backplanes, and you must connect one to the other.

As far as I know, installing the interconnects is not considered a customer action. If you want HP to support your system, you should/must let HP engineers do it.

The interconnect cables will transmit very high frequency signals. The cables must be connected exactly right: any sloppiness or wrong procedures can make the system unreliable.

MK
MK
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

the distance between cabuinetes should be the samllest as possible, We have SD32, but i think you are working with the SD64.

mikap
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

The best way to do this is rising a call to HP Service Guys.

This is not an easy thing and no customer is allowed to do things like that to a SDome.

the parts you will need will not be only cables but some other HW material also. The cabinets must be fixed exactly zero distance apart and must be connected to each other with special screws and cables. If you raise a call to HP they will provide you whatever needed.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I have to agree with Matti - my recollection is that joining the two halves of a Superdome is not considered a user activity and should (dare I say must) be performed by an HP Service Rep.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Ivan Rogovskiy
Advisor

Thanks for your answers! Of course, we will ask for the Service Guys to do this. But we have small datacenter, and we should carefully plan free space for hardware :\

One more time thanks for the explanation!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The expansion cabinet for a Superdome first generation must be placed directly on the right side of the existing cabinet.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Ivan Rogovskiy
Advisor

There are hard physical limits: if you have a 1 GHz processor, even light in vacuum can travel only 30 cm during one clock cycle. *Nothing* can travel faster than that. An electrical signal in copper and semiconductors is slower than light in vacuum. So, any extra length in the cables would have a significant impact to the timing of the signals going between the cabinets: you can't just replace the standard interconnect cables with longer ones.