4570 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

USB Serial Adapter: laptop Console

JLee_1
Advisor

USB Serial Adapter: laptop Console

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what cable I need to purchase to connect my laptop to an rp3440 machine for console access.
I only have USB available on the latitude x300 (very small laptop).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Jim
5 REPLIES 5
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Re: USB Serial Adapter: laptop Console

Hi Jim,

An rp3440 has an GSP, and console that can be configured as a lan interface. Check this link for configuration options.

http://docs.hp.com/en/A7137-96001-en/A7137-96001-en.pdf

check Configuring the MP LAN Port IP Address section on page 82.

Regards,

Gideon
JLee_1
Advisor

Thanks Gideon,
Though I really just wanted to walk up to one of many HP-UX machines here and simply plug in my laptop and login to the console or GSP/MP.
Jim
DCE
Honored Contributor

Jim,

The USB ports are only for keyboards/mice. However as stated by others the management LAN port is a viable option. You can configure the port and plug an ethernet cable (not suse if you need a crossover cable)in between your laptop and the MP. - assuming you have some type of LAN connection on your PC
JLee_1
Advisor

Thanks for the input guys. If all else fails I'll have to go the way of the LAN.

I'm picking up a USB to rs232 cable tonight and tring it out tomorrow. I'll post my resolts to the forums after.

Regards,
Jim
JLee_1
Advisor

To anyone that├в s been wondering.

It works.

I picked up a RS232 (9pin) serial cable at Radio Shack last night, installed the driver and HyperTerm├в ed into the Management Processor of an rp3440 this afternoon.

This is the solution for ├в out-of-the-box├в server configurations. Plus I can terminal into almost any device in the Data Center. Very Cool Stuff. . .