Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
HP 9000 and HP e3000 Servers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Serial Adapter: laptop Console

JLee_1
Advisor

USB Serial Adapter: laptop Console

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what cable I need to purchase to connect my laptop to an rp3440 machine for console access.
I only have USB available on the latitude x300 (very small laptop).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Jim
5 REPLIES
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Re: USB Serial Adapter: laptop Console

Hi Jim,

An rp3440 has an GSP, and console that can be configured as a lan interface. Check this link for configuration options.

http://docs.hp.com/en/A7137-96001-en/A7137-96001-en.pdf

check Configuring the MP LAN Port IP Address section on page 82.

Regards,

Gideon
JLee_1
Advisor

Thanks Gideon,
Though I really just wanted to walk up to one of many HP-UX machines here and simply plug in my laptop and login to the console or GSP/MP.
Jim
DCE
Honored Contributor

Jim,

The USB ports are only for keyboards/mice. However as stated by others the management LAN port is a viable option. You can configure the port and plug an ethernet cable (not suse if you need a crossover cable)in between your laptop and the MP. - assuming you have some type of LAN connection on your PC
JLee_1
Advisor

Thanks for the input guys. If all else fails I'll have to go the way of the LAN.

I'm picking up a USB to rs232 cable tonight and tring it out tomorrow. I'll post my resolts to the forums after.

Regards,
Jim
JLee_1
Advisor

To anyone thatâ s been wondering.

It works.

I picked up a RS232 (9pin) serial cable at Radio Shack last night, installed the driver and HyperTermâ ed into the Management Processor of an rp3440 this afternoon.

This is the solution for â out-of-the-boxâ server configurations. Plus I can terminal into almost any device in the Data Center. Very Cool Stuff. . .