108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

W cable A5191-63001 wiring

SOLVED
Go to solution
Finis Conner
Advisor

W cable A5191-63001 wiring

Hello all!! I have several rp5470 (L3000) and rp7400 (N4000) servers, and need desperately to get the wiring diagram for the A5191-63001 "W" cable! Without this, I'm stuck... I have found some links here in this forum, but they are dead. Somebody has this wiring diagram so I can build it? Buy it is very dificult for me. And, if somebody knows, what settings Hyperterminal for XP is needed to establish comunications with the GSP? Also... :-) a way to reset the GSP to its default settings, because the servers are used and Don't know how they are configured. Well, excuse me so many questions for the first time. Best regards, and thank you in advance.
23 REPLIES 23
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: W cable A5191-63001 wiring

> [...] Without this, I'm stuck... [...]

Are you sure? I know nothing, but I thought
that the primary serial port appeared on the
normal pins, so that a plain-old serial cable
would work, unless you wanted to use the
modem port, or something else exotic. (Or
that may have been a Sun multi-serial port.)
Have you looked at pins 2 and 3 (and 7)?

> [...] links here in this forum [...]

Have you asked Google?

> [...] what settings [...]

I still know nothing, but I'd start with
9600b/s, 8 bits (1 stop bit), no parity.

> [...] a way to reset [...]

Have you looked at the manuals for these
systems?
S_Logan
HPE Pro

HI Finis,

Details of W cable:

Photo of Console cabel (W Cable):
http://partsurfer.hp.com/ShowPhoto.aspx?partnumber=A5191-63001

(Computer) DB-25 pin (M) - will connect to the Core IO card(25Pin (F) of the Server

UPS - DB-9 (M) for UPS connection
Remote - DB-9 (M) for- Modem Connection
Console - DB-9 (M) for-local Console connection (GSP/HPUX Console)

Hyperterminal/Emulation:
The software emulates console output as it would appear on an ASCII terminal screen and displays it on a console device screen.

2. To ensure the emulation software is correctly configured, verify the following:

a. Verify that the communication settings are configured as follows:
├в ┬в 8/none (parity)
├в ┬в 9600 baud
├в ┬в None (receive)
├в ┬в None (transmit)
b. Verify that the terminal type is configured appropriately. Supported terminal types are as follows:
├в ┬в hpterm
├в ┬в vt100
├в ┬в vt100+
├в ┬в vt-utf8
IMPORTANT: Do not use hpterm and vt100 terminal types at the same time.

There are many different emulation software applications. Consult the help section of your emulation software application for instructions on how to configure the software options.

3. Use rear View picture determine the required connection components and the ports used to connect the server to the console device.

4. Connect the cables.
a. Connect the DB-9 end of the RS-232 serial port female-to-female cable to the console RS-232 serial port.
b. Connect the other end of the DB-9 female-to-female cable to the console device.

5. Start the emulation software on the console device.

6. Log in to the GSP

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Surendar
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Finis Conner
Advisor

Steven, Surendar; Thank you a lot for the info!! I still need the wiring diagram, that is, how are each of the DB25 pins connected to the 3 DB9 pins? I need the 3 DB9 working, because I need the UPS be commanded by the server, also the modem (remote) function.
With regards to factory defaults of the the GSP, the only way is with console access. I will try removing the batery, hope this don't clear the firmware...
HP didn't saved the internal wiring diagram for the A5191-63001 W cable.
If somebody has that diagram to pass it to me, I'll very gratefull (sorry for my ugly english). Best regards!
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Something to note is that for the rp7400 server you do not require the W cable as there are (3) DB9 ports built on the Core I/O board.

In order to reset the GSP to its default login/password push and hold the GSP reset button for 5 seconds and monitor the console. A prompt will appear to reset the login info.

The default login are cleared values. That is press twice to login. Press CTRL+b to access the GSP prompt.

From the GSP prompt issue the DC command to reset all values to the factory defaults.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Finis Conner
Advisor

Hello Bob! Yes, I've seen the DB9 console port at the rp7400, thanks!
I've reset the GSP with that button days ago, but still couldn't login. So, I removed the battery from the GSP... may be something was screwed (if so, no matter, I've 3 more to take spares)? After that, the server started blinking an red led in front. The servers are at an office far away from I'm now, so tomorrow I'll try to connect to the GSP with the suggestions from the another guys.
One question: the server can be started from one SCSI CD drive, in order to install Debian? And... can be installed a PCI video card from another brand? (it's not the one that HP offers for this server). Best regards and thank you again.

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

The L3000 does have an internal DVD/CDROM, but the N4000 does not. An external device would have to be used.

In regards to the video card, that will depend on what Debian supports on this hardware. The PCI slots are standard, but the bus architecture behind them (what HP calls WSIO) is not.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Finis Conner
Advisor

Hello all, thank your for your valuable data. With that, I accessed the GSP without the lost W cable, and I'm looking now how to reinstall the OS. Sorry I didn't assigned point before, it has years I didn't use this forum. Happy new year for everybody.
Regards!
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

Below is the pinout of the HP A5191-63001 W cable

DB9 Console (male) ------------------ DB25 Computer (male)
1 ------------------ 8
2 ------------------ 3
3 ------------------ 2
4 ------------------ 20
5 ------------------ 7
6 ------------------ 6
7 ------------------ 4
8 ------------------ 5
9 ------------------ 22
GND ------------------ GND

DB9 Remote (male) ------------------ DB25 Computer (male)
1 ------------------ 23
2 ------------------ 12
3 ------------------ 9
4 ------------------ 11
5 ------------------ 21
6 ------------------ 24
7 ------------------ 10
8 ------------------ 13
9 ------------------ 25

DB9 UPS (male) ------------------ DB25 Computer (male)
1 - NC
2 ------------------ 17
3 ------------------ 14
4 - NC
5 ------------------ 16
6 - NC
7 ------------------ 15
8 ------------------ 18
9 - NC

At the DB25 connector pins 1 and 19 are not connected (NC).
Finis Conner
Advisor

Zygmunt, I am very very grateful to you for the wiring diagram of the W cable for the HP9000 server. Now I can try to connect an UPS.
May be you know what are the serial port settings for this machines: The rp5470 (aka L3000) and rp7400 (N4000)? If not, no problem, they can be found somewhere for sure.
Regards!!