HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753446 Members
5019 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: What is the purpoese of Master MP and Slave MP card.

Md. Minhaz Khan
Super Advisor

What is the purpoese of Master MP and Slave MP card.

In bangladesh PBTL project, a new server RP8440 has come. It has two MP card , One Master MP(Bottom) and another slave MP card (Top). My query is why we need two MP card. In RP7420 system has only one MP card. Please help me to understood this circustances
7 REPLIES 7
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I don't think there is an other reason besides the failover function described in the quickspecs;

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12697_div/12697_div.HTML

Management Processor Failover

Management Processor: The Management Processor (MP) is a dedicated processor that simplifies and extends system management, as well as, enhances serviceability. The MP feature set was designed to minimize/eliminate the need for the System Administrator to be physically at the system to perform tasks such as diagnostics, system management, or even hard resets. The MP in the rp8440 can be configured to failover to a secondary MP (again provided two core I/O board sets are installed).

Regards,
Robert-Jan

The MP cards on the rp74xx have MP functions only.

The MP cards on the rp84xx have MP functions and core IO functions combined.

The rp74xx had a seperate core IO card, for which you would in fact have 2 if you had >1 nPars on the system.

The rp84xx doesn't have a seperate card, so if you have > 1 nPars then you need the extra MP card.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Kranti Mahmud
Honored Contributor

Hi Mr. Minhaz,

Please go through the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01385149〈=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=1844071&prodTypeId=15351

Rgds-Kranti
Dont look BACK as U will miss something INFRONT!
Md. Minhaz Khan
Super Advisor

Dear All,

I have found my answer which is as follows:

When the server is configured with one core I/O board, that board must be in slot 0, since the master MP is
always the MP on the core I/O board in slot 0.

When the server is configured for two partitions, it must contain two core I/O boards, one for each partition. It will also contain two MPs. In this case, the MP in slot 0 is the master MP and provides all of the server management functions. The MP on the core I/O board in slot 1 is a slave MP and redirects the operating system gettys to the master MP over an internal MP-to-MP link. All external connections to the MP must be to the master MP in slot 0. The slave MP ports will be disabled.

For high availability (HA), the server powers up and powers down without an MP. Booting HP-UX without an MP depends on the ability of the operating system to boot without a console getty. Thus, in a two-partition system, the partition with a failed MP might not boot, since the MP provides the console getty.
The server configuration cannot be changed without the MP.

In the event of a master MP failure, the slave MP automatically becomes the master MP.
Carla P. Pinto
Occasional Advisor

Hi all
I'm implementing an OpenVMS solution to two RX7640. Each RX7640 has two cells with two MP. I'm doing of acceptance and failover for the whole installation.
I understood the last reply that it's not necessary to synchronized data between master and slave MP. Is it rigth?
My customer would like to do MP failover test. Does anyone know how i can to do this?
thanks
Carla Pinto
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Carla: I'm implementing an OpenVMS solution to two rx7640.

This is the wrong forum for Integrity. You should open a new thread in Servers > Integrity, unless you think the OpenVMS forum would be better.

(You should also create your own thread so you can assign points.)
Md. Minhaz Khan
Super Advisor

ok