1752781 Members
5948 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: install MPEiX 7.0 on A Class previously loaded with HP-UX

Andre Kolytcheff
Contributor

install MPEiX 7.0 on A Class previously loaded with HP-UX

I ahve a A Class server running with HP-UX and i want to use it to validate MPEiX 7.0
Do i need to ask an HP ingeneer for Eprom modification or can i install MPEiX from my CD-ROM?
4 REPLIES 4
Marco Suerig
Advisor

Hello Andre,

there is no supported way to change a HP-UX A-Class Server to an MPE one. Besides the change of the SW capabilities form HP-UX to MPE which can only be done by a HP-CE you already mentioned, the CPU(s) have to be exchanged.
Doug Render
Occasional Contributor

Andre,

MPE runs on a modified HP box, usually the HP3000 which is being discontinued. The engineering is quite different, HP made many modifications of K and A class boxes to accomodate MPE. Looks like you should consider getting a new OS. We have the HP3000 and since it will no longer be supported after 2006 we are moving to a new box and OS.

Doug
CARGETO ERGO SUM
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Andre,

have a look at this, then contact your local Hp office:

http://www.hp.com/products1/mpeixservers/future/nextsteps/conversion_kits.pdf

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Andre,

In an nutshell, you can't.

Echoing what everyone else here has said, the HPUX operating system is small, cheap and does not come with a lot of tools. The MPE operating system is fast, comes with a lot of tools and is expensive.

The difference between the two boxes is the contents of an EPROM chip which defines whether the box identifies itself as an HPe3000 or HP9000. BTW, a few people are serving time at Club Fed for changing large numbers of cheap HP9000's into expensive HP3000's. Don't even think it.

Your best solution is to rent a box for a while to confirm MPE 7.0. A number of firms will be quite happy to do so