108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

mirror/ux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

mirror/ux

I am a novice with hpux.I have 11.i running and would like two load mirror ux .I do not know where too start.I have a license to use mirrordisk/ux ,but i am lost as what two do next.Can anyone please point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Jon
6 REPLIES 6
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: mirror/ux

Jon,

If you have Phone-in support with HP, I recommend calling them if possible and having them walk you through it. I have found that with basic situations like this, they will give you everything you need over the phone.

I'm not sure exactly what you need help with, so I'll give you the full instructions...

If you haven't already done so, follow the instructions on the License to get a Codeword from HP.

Put CD 1 of the applications CD set that you should have in the same package as the HP-UX Media.

Next, type:
swinstall

This should take you into the software install program. Select your local CD-ROM drive as the source, and your local server as the host.

I am doing this from memory on the swinstall application so I may be a little off on the exact names of menus and buttons. Select the 'actions' menu by pressing until it is selected. In this menu you will have to select the option that says something about entering a codeword. Next, follow the instructions and enter your Customer Identifier and Codeword in the spaces indicated.

Once the Codeword is accepted, you should see Mirrordisk/UX in the software list. select it by pressing space, and then go back to the actions menu and select 'install selected software' or something similar. It will then analyze your system. When it's finished with the analysis, (which should succeed) continue with the install by pressing 'OK' or 'Continue' or something like that.

The software should then install.

Let me know if you want help on the specific commands to mirror a volume.

-Josh
What are the chances...
GK_5
Regular Advisor

Jon,

You should install the Mirror/UX software using swinstall. Once the software is installed, you can mirror logical volumes using LVM commands or SAM. HP manual has detailed discussion on LVM. You can download HP documentation from docs.hp.com and look for system admin guide for your version.
Good Luck!
IT is great!
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Thank you, that worked.When you have time if you could point me in the direction on mirroring commands for future use I would appreciate it.Once again thanks for the help

Jon
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Jon,

One thing that's often confusing when using mirrordisk/UX is that the software only mirrors logical volumes, not physical drives.

First, determine which drive you want to store the mirrored logical volumes on. then do:

# ioscan -funC disk

there will be a c#t#d# number associated with each drive on the system. make a note of this number. I'll use c0t0d0 as an example.

Now, create a 'Physical Volume' on the drive on which the mirrors will be stored:

# pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0

if this command is not working, and you are **SURE** that the c0t0d0 number is correct use the following to force creation:

# pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0

If you are mirroring a bootable filesystem then also:

# pvcreate -B /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0

now, extend the volume group that the mirrored logical volumes are in: (using vg00 as an example)

# vgextend /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0

Make the Physical Volume Bootable, if so desired:

# mkboot /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0
# mkboot -a "hpux -lq(;0)/stand/vmunix" /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0

mirror the logical volume: (lvol1 as an example)

# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol1 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0

repeat the above step for all of the other logical volumes that you wish to mirror.

now, apply the changes to the volume group and make it available:

# vgchange -a y /dev/vg00

prepare the logical volumes to be bootable:

#lvlnboot -R

The volumes should be mirrored now.

Follow this procedure to test the mirror if you have the time:

# shutdown ???ry 0

Interrupt the boot process by pressing any key before the 10 seconds expires.

BCH> boot pri isl

isl> hpux ???lm

login: root

# vgchange ???a y /dev/vg00

# lvchange ???M n ???c n /dev/vgXX/lvol2
(only if mirroring root fs)

# shutdown ???ry 0

BCH> sea

boot off mirrored disk to test the mirror.

# shutdown ???ry 0

BCH> boot pri isl

isl> hpux ???lm

login: root

# vgchange ???a y /dev/vg00

# lvchange ???M y ???c y /dev/vgXX/lvol2 (only if mirroring root fs)

# shutdown ???ry 0

I hope I typed everything correctly, if not, I'm sure someone will correct me.
What are the chances...
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Jon,

did everything work out for you?

-Josh
What are the chances...
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Thank you