1753970 Members
7922 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: modem port?

anemeth

modem port?

I want to make a program handling an external modem in a HP K Class 9000 [HP Release B.10.10] unix host. The host has an HP 9000 Core I/O card that has a 25 pin
female port labeled 'EXTERNAL MODEM' and an other labeled 'MDP'. I've already configured modem port using sam (/dev/cua0p7, /dev/ttyd0p7, /dev/cul0p7). If I connect to the MDP I get DTR led on but sending AT into the device /dev/cua0p7 doesn't work. I've already read the documentation but I could't find the right device name. Can anyone give me some advise
on how to complete this work ? What type of cable should I use? Can I use the J2096A's 32 serial port (the documentation said it doesn't support modem signals).

Many thanks,

Acka
acka
8 REPLIES 8
Devbinder Singh Marway
Valued Contributor

hi anemeth,

first have a read of the document KBAN00000225 ( select search and search for this id in technical document id).

Have you got an internal predict modem ?
i.e. was there anything connected to the internal serial port ( i believe this is only for pinternal predict modem)

Have you got an external mux port i.e. a serial port block connected to mdp port ?

Seek and you shall find
anemeth

Hi,

Thanks for your answer but I've already solve my problem. I use the external modem port. If I would use more than one modem than wich other ports I can use? No device is connected to the MDP port nor the internal modem. Can I use anyway the J2096A's 32 serial ports for modem communication? I'm sorry but I couldn't find the KBAN00000225 documentation.

Thanks,

Acka
acka
Adrian Voysey
Advisor

Yes you can connect a modem to a J2096A
To do this you need to make sure that the mux2 driver is in the kernel and that a modem
is connected to a port on the MUX.
You also need to check that your system has the correct device files
/dev/mux?
and
/dev/tty?p?
where the first ? represents the card instance and the 2nd ? represents the port number on the card
You will also need a getty running for the
tty?p? device
Devbinder Singh Marway
Valued Contributor

Firstly, how did you view the document because i got to it ? did you select hp SEARCH ( copy and paster the document id ) and select technical library you should see one entry.

You can connect a modem to the 32 port serial block , you must make sure you have the correct cable though ( i think the modem is a DCE device and Mux port is a DTE device
so you need straight through cable ( check the mux port manual regarding this)

Also you must make sure if not already done you have the correct driver installed for your mux port. If you SEARCH ( top left) for J2096A Mux port ( you will see hits for configuring ports, drivers required etc..)

Regarding the MDP port this is an extension port i.e. without purchasing another mux card this allows you to buy a serial port block and connect it to this port . I haven't tried connecting up a modem to this port , but you can try it , but you must make sure you don't uyse ports 0 1 and 7 to confiure your modem becuase 0 is for console , 1 is the ups port and 7 is the internal predict modem ( i.e. Hp dial in and check system out for you e.g. disk firmware upgrades , disk problems etc.. - this is extra cost though)

Hope this helps
Seek and you shall find
Devbinder Singh Marway
Valued Contributor

Firstly, how did you view the document because i got to it ? did you select hp SEARCH ( copy and paster the document id ) and select technical library you should see one entry.

You can connect a modem to the 32 port serial block , you must make sure you have the correct cable though ( i think the modem is a DCE device and Mux port is a DTE device

Also you must make sure if not already done you have the correct driver installed for your mux port. If you SEARCH ( top left) for J2096A Mux port ( you will see hits for configuring ports, drivers required etc..)

Regarding the MDP port this is an extension port i.e. without purchasing another mux card this allows you to buy a serial port block and connect it to this port . I haven't tried connecting up a modem to this port , but you can try it , but you must make sure you don't uyse ports 0 1 and 7 to confiure your modem becuase 0 is for console , 1 is the ups port and 7 is the internal predict modem ( i.e. Hp dial in and check system out for you e.g. disk firmware upgrades , disk problems etc.. - this is extra cost though)

Hope this helps
Seek and you shall find
Devbinder Singh Marway
Valued Contributor

Hope this helps
Seek and you shall find
Devbinder Singh Marway
Valued Contributor

Hope this helps
Seek and you shall find
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Hi,

One thing that you need to be aware of on the 'K' seried is that the 'internal' modem and the 'external' modem are the same device (tty...p7).

You have to select which one you want to use as follows:-

Turn the server key switch to 'Service'
Type B on the console to obtain the CM> prompt.
Type ca to configure the modem port.
Type co to return to console mode
Turn the server key to the 'Normal' position

Hope this helps,
John