HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752571 Members
4652 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

moving CPU and Mem between RP8440s

lfpmikef

moving CPU and Mem between RP8440s

Hi All - I've got 2 RP8440's running HP-UX that I'd like to move some CPU's and memory between. One machine is underpowered, so i'll be moving a complete cel board and 1 cpu off of each of 2 other cel boards to the partner machine.
I'm pretty sure I've got the physical aspect of it covered, just wondering what OS/Platform commands I might need to run to get each system to be happy with it's new CPU/MEM count.
Any other gotchas?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
g3jza
Esteemed Contributor

Re: moving CPU and Mem between RP8440s

Hi,
are you running vPars on those systems? If yes then one issue that you could encounter is that you could have problems with booting all of your vPars (Let's say that the machine-vpar that is going to have less cpu/memory than was assigned to it, won't boot, but that's obvious...).

The OS should recognize more/less cpu/mem without any issue...

One issue we had last time was that during the exchange of cell boards between the separate servers, there were some SAP applications running which then needed to apply new license for different HW in order to start....

cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You might want to read up on parstatus and parmodify to check/adjust the allocation of among other things like CLM if in use, etc...

Rgds,
lfpmikef

We aren't using vpars.
I'll check into the parstatus and parmodify commands and see if that raises any other questions.