Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
HP 9000 and HP e3000 Servers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

read/write CD on e3000 systems?

Chris Cruz_1
Occasional Advisor

read/write CD on e3000 systems?

we have a 989 e3000 system. i would like to know if it is possible to install a read/write CD on this kind of system (we're thinking of using CD's as a backup option). if this is possible, do you know the part number for the product?
6 REPLIES
Fred Metcalf
Trusted Contributor

Re: read/write CD on e3000 systems?

I am not aware of any driver for a R/W CD.

What throughput do you get on FWD DLT 8000's ?
(store ^storein; *dlt; progress; directory; statistics)
On a 979 we get 2782 K/S
On a N4000-100-330 we get 5317 K/S

On a N4000-200-440 we get 2987+3089 K/S
(Dual drives & ;COMPRESS=LOW, COMPRESSED RATIO 1.6:1 - 38%)
Missing MPE :-)
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

You must have a few hundred hours to spend on backups?

A CD backup is painfully slow. It'd be faster to hire some monks to scribe your data.

Get a DDS4, DLT or LTO to back up your system.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Marco Suerig
Advisor

I agree that CD backup will be poorly slow but there is no such product available.

DDS4 is not supported on older systems. It is only supported on A-/N-Class PCI systems.
There are no LTO drives for e3000s supported.

For high capacity and fast backups on a 9x9 system use one or more DLT8000s each on a dedicated FWD SCSI bus with hardware compression only, do not use compress option in store command but use maxtapebuf option!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Get monks to write your data! :-)

No, seriously, I think the only "supported" backup solutions for your old mpe system is DDS1 or DDS2. I beleive your 989 handled single-ended devices, so they should work. Even DDS3 tape.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

Chris,

I would recommend using DLT (FW-SCSI) on your 989/xxx box. We use it with HP's TurboStore as our backup product. There are other back-up software pacekages, RoadRunner from ROC Software, HiBars for Hi-Back, and a product from Orbit will
all back-up your system with
compression algorithms.

As with any hardware and software acquisition, make the decision based on your business requirements.

My $.04 for inflation,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Chris Cruz_1
Occasional Advisor

thanks to all who responded. using a cd as a backup option was just a thought. my manager just wants to know if e3000's can use read/write CDs just like PCs.