Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
HP 9000 and HP e3000 Servers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reset GSP/MP online permitted?

SOLVED
Go to solution
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

reset GSP/MP online permitted?

guys,
for all HP servers,could I reset their GSP/MP by pressing reset button when the servers are running? I know I could replace superdome's GSP online, but I am not certain I could reset others', like rp8400, would resetting its MP interfere its SCSI connectivity? what is the right action pressing MP/GSP's reset button?

regards
Stephen
9 REPLIES
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: reset GSP/MP online permitted?

These are separate computers so you shouldn't have problems. Why do you need to reset them?
Benoy Daniel
Trusted Contributor

You can do the soft reset through MP prompt itself. Go to MP prompt and do a XD. It can be done online. You need to re-connect the console once it is reset.
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

>Why do you need to reset them?
Sometimes GSP/MP get stuck and could not XD,and reset the whole server is not acceptable then.

>These are separate computers
again, presenting rp8400, resetting MP would not interfere tape5300 connecting through MP when it was backuping?

How many times should I press reset button to achive correct "reset" action? "reset" here means "restore factory configuration" or "power cycle"?

regards
Stephen
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> resetting MP would not interfere tape5300 connecting through MP when it was backing up?

Yes.

>How many times should I press reset button to achieve correct "reset" action? "reset" here means "restore factory configuration" or "power cycle"?

Just the once. It will "restore factory configuration".
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Dennis,
Sorry about my poor English.
>Just the once.
How much time should I hold that reset button?

regards
Stephen
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

and is there a way to just "hard reset" the GSP/MP? not to restore factory configuration.
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Pushing the GSP/MP reset button will not reset *all* values to factory defaults.

Push and release the button to perform a hard reset (no settings changed).

Push and hold for 5 seconds to perform a reset of the login and password values (and on some models the LAN config settings). However to do this you will need to have a console attached so you can confirm your actions.

Once your MP is reset and you can access it, use the DC command to reset all values to default settings.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

sometimes you can get away with resetting the gsp/mp from within hpux

#stty +resetGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1

and to check the status

#stty +queryGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1

to reset it fully hold button down for 5-10 seconds until you get a question to confirm on local serial console. note you need a locally attached console.

Andy
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

sometimes I press the reset button of GSP/MP and it would not reset, so I need to power cycle the server to reset GSP/MP (of cause this happened when GSP/MP get stuck), so I wonder did I "reset" it right.

regards
Stephen