108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rp7400 with failed processor

SOLVED
Go to solution
ronlevyca
Frequent Advisor

rp7400 with failed processor

I have an rp7400 with a failed processor. It's been wonderfully robust in not crashing, and fortunately, it's under support. Getting authorization for downtime to replace the processor is a dodgy last-minute thing, however.

I would like to just have HP ship the processor and then I could ship them back the failed one so I could do the replacement at my leisure. But where would I find the instructions on how to remove it? Do I need any special tools to do so on an rp7400?

It's a 550mhz processor.
Thanks,
-Ron Levy
4 REPLIES 4
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: rp7400 with failed processor

hi,

swapping the cpu should be fairly straight forward to do. the only tool you need is a T15 torx driver. I think the cpu has the same type as the top cover.

As long as you know which is the faulty cpu number, then the slot numbering is on the top covers.

The only thing to be wary of is that sometimes the actual cpu's are very tight in the socket. These need a bit of pulling power and slight rocking to remove it. Then you need to make sure the socket is clean. There is a cpu socket cleaning kit you can get and may be as well getting HP to send you one aswell, but its not always needed.

Andy
ronlevyca
Frequent Advisor

That I got. Is there any particular manual that has more information on this? The manual I looked at didn't cover CPUs, just IO cards and memory.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

no there are no manuals for the cpu upgrades/replacements. only the hardware guides which it sounds like you have.

well not that we mortals know about!

Andy
ronlevyca
Frequent Advisor

Thanks!