Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rp7410

bagek
Frequent Advisor

rp7410

I am looking for a rp7410 service manual.
15 REPLIES
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
bagek
Frequent Advisor

Re: rp7410

My problem is when I power up the server it come up to the GSP but the DVD does not work. The power regulator board under the DVD does not light up. So I have no access to the DVD to load HPUX. I think it's a configuration thing from the GSP but I can't find it. Any suggestions?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You can power on/off the DVD/tape power supplies from the MP (GSP is the term for the smaller rp and N/L class systems) using the commands:

cm
pe

If they are already enabled, the power supply without a green light has failed and must be replaced.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

have you powered the whole cabinet and cell boards and io chassis up through the MP?

these need powering up first as Bill stated. Then you boot to a console(BCH/PDC). from here you then boot the dvd? is that what you are doing or post back your steps you are doing to try and boot the system

The link Bill gave you should have the user guide for more detailed info

Andy
bagek
Frequent Advisor

thanks for the help. I used the PE command to power up slot 1 and the DVD side came on. also the DVD is enabled. however now I have trouble reaching the BCH. I am trying to load HPUX 11i but when I do a SEA I can see both disks but the DVD comes and goes. can you suggest what would be the minimum config? I have 1 cell board with 4 750Mhz procs in cell slot 0 and plenty of memory. I have 2 MP controllers.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

"... comes and goes ..."

I have seen a similar situation some time ago. The reason was a bad cable (data cable to the DVD drive). Inspect it for damages.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The rp7410 is a cell-based computer and can be configured into separate nPars. The primary or Genesis partition on the rp7410 is actually attached to cell 1, and cell 0 may be a separate computer, or both cell boards may be assigned to the primary partition.

From the MP prompt, type the command: vfp (virtual front panel). If there are two separate partitions, then partition 0 can only see cell board 1, and partition 1 can only see cell board 0. The cell boards are associated with the two I/O cards cages the same way. From the back of the machine, the left half of the card cage is part of cell board 0, while the right half is part of cell board 1. This split also includes the internal hard disks and tape and/or DVD.

If machine is being installed and not actually running, you probably want to collapse the two cell boards into partition 0 so it is one big machine. Now all I/O, internal disks and tape/DVD will be visible.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

...collapse the two cell boards...

Actually, to be more complete, the MP command "cc" will generate the Genesis partition (partition 0 with cell board 1) only and wipe out any previous parition configs. Make sure that the DVD is on the left side of the box so it is connected to cell board 1. Now you can load from the DVD.

Once the OS is running, you use the parmodify in HP-UX to assign cell board 0 to partition 0.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
bagek
Frequent Advisor

thanks for all your help. I can now see the dvd . when I am at ISL I can do an LS and see the dvd loaded and it returns a HPUX file. when I try to boot using HPUX it fails and gives me an error
>Boot
:disk(1/0/0/3/1.2.0.0.0.0.0;0/stand/vmunix
disk(1/0/0/3/1.2.0.0.0.0.0;0/stand/vmunix:cannot open, or not executable Exec failed: no such file or directory.
I verified the path is correct. I am using a new version of HP-UX 11i Version 1 Enterprise Operating Environment Core OS install and recovery Version B.11.11. 1 or 5 CD. December 2006. any ideas? Thanks again.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you specify to boot vmunix?
What was your boot command?

Don't interact with ISL, just let it boot from CD.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

bagek
Frequent Advisor

i used hpux /stand/vmunix
bagek
Frequent Advisor

I let it boot from the dvd without any interaction and it came up fine. Thanks for all your help.
bagek
Frequent Advisor

thanks for he help loading HPUX. I have configured a VA7110 for additional storage. the system claims it ok. my problem now is loading armdsp. does it reside on one of the CD's HP sent me? thanks. jim
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You can get commandview sdm from www.hp.com.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=30591〈=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=64112

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.