New Discussion юеВ

superdome core io fail?

SOLVED
Go to solution
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

superdome core io fail?

Guys,
SD32000, single cabinet without expansion unit, after power on, cell self-test ok, and all join partition, and partition state stayed at HP_UX heartbeat, GSP co command turned out to be null output, core io was in bay 1 chassis 3, but after the io chassis was power on, PS show no core io in bay 1 chassis 3, in the right cabinet 0, but in bay 1 chassi 3 cabinet 15! in this moment, sysrev show no firmware of core io, firmwares of other components were good.
so what is the consequence if core io fails in a superdome SD32000? there was no error log about core io in SL.

regards
Stephen
3 REPLIES 3
moonchild
Regular Advisor

Re: superdome core io fail?

The core I/O in Superdome provides the base set of I/O functions required by every Superdome partition. Each partition must have at least one core I/O card in order to boot. Multiple core I/O cards may be present within a partition (one core I/O card is supported per I/O backplane); however, only one may be active at a time. Core I/O will utilize the standard long card PCI X form factor but will add a second card cage connection to the I/O backplane for additional non PCI X signals (USB and utilities). This secondary connector will not impede the ability to support standard PCI X cards in the core slot when a core I/O card is not installed.

Any I/O chassis can support a Core I/O card that is required for each independent partition. A system configured with 16 cells, each with its own I/O chassis and core I/O card could support up to 16 independent partitions. Note that cells can be configured without I/O chassis attached, but I/O chassis cannot be configured in the system unless attached to a cell.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/archives_Division/11717_div_v1/11717_div.HTML
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Certainly strange that there were no errors about this...especially during boot up.

I suspect the core I/O has failed, but not in such a way to affect the requirements of the partition.

"what is the consequence if core io fails..."

As you see, you cannot access the partition console. That alone is bad enough I would say!

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Guys,
It turned out to be malfuction of the io chassis, which not indicated by any sight.

regards
Stephen