Did you mean: 

superdome core io fail?

SOLVED
Go to solution
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

superdome core io fail?

Guys,
SD32000, single cabinet without expansion unit, after power on, cell self-test ok, and all join partition, and partition state stayed at HP_UX heartbeat, GSP co command turned out to be null output, core io was in bay 1 chassis 3, but after the io chassis was power on, PS show no core io in bay 1 chassis 3, in the right cabinet 0, but in bay 1 chassi 3 cabinet 15! in this moment, sysrev show no firmware of core io, firmwares of other components were good.
so what is the consequence if core io fails in a superdome SD32000? there was no error log about core io in SL.

regards
Stephen
3 REPLIES
moonchild
Regular Advisor

Re: superdome core io fail?

The core I/O in Superdome provides the base set of I/O functions required by every Superdome partition. Each partition must have at least one core I/O card in order to boot. Multiple core I/O cards may be present within a partition (one core I/O card is supported per I/O backplane); however, only one may be active at a time. Core I/O will utilize the standard long card PCI X form factor but will add a second card cage connection to the I/O backplane for additional non PCI X signals (USB and utilities). This secondary connector will not impede the ability to support standard PCI X cards in the core slot when a core I/O card is not installed.

Any I/O chassis can support a Core I/O card that is required for each independent partition. A system configured with 16 cells, each with its own I/O chassis and core I/O card could support up to 16 independent partitions. Note that cells can be configured without I/O chassis attached, but I/O chassis cannot be configured in the system unless attached to a cell.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/archives_Division/11717_div_v1/11717_div.HTML
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Certainly strange that there were no errors about this...especially during boot up.

I suspect the core I/O has failed, but not in such a way to affect the requirements of the partition.

"what is the consequence if core io fails..."

As you see, you cannot access the partition console. That alone is bad enough I would say!

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Guys,
It turned out to be malfuction of the io chassis, which not indicated by any sight.

regards
Stephen