HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748256 Members
3704 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CD Reader - sensitive to CD's color?!?!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cristina McLeod
Occasional Contributor

CD Reader - sensitive to CD's color?!?!

Configuration: HP 9000/D380 with a 5 year old CDROM unit.

I've never heard of this before but someone mentioned that there are cdrom units out there not reading gold colored CD.

I find this hard to believe but two people claim it's true.
I have the will but can't find the way...
3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor
Solution

I have never heard, that there are problems with golden CDs in the CD-ROM drive of a server.
But maybe you want to ask the question the OEM of the CD-ROM drive. (you can find it in an ioscan -fC disk)
It's usualy Toshiba: http://www.toshiba.com/taecdpd/products/cd.shtml
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

I've never heard of this either, although I think it might be possible. When audio CD's were relatively new it was said if you took a green highlighter and colored the edge of the CD, it would read better, thus improving the sound. The rational behind this is that LASER is light. You are reading the CD with light. Green is the most predominant color of the spectrum on Earth because the Sun is a green star. Look down a street with several stoplights and you will see the green lights before you see the red lights.
CD's work by sampling, reading the data several times and then averaging the results. If the CD drive has a low sample rate, maybe the gold color somewhat distorts the light, lowering the quality of the read.
Maybe that is the problem or maybe I'm way off base. It's a possibility. Does the drive work with other color CD's?
Cristina McLeod
Occasional Contributor

Thank you.

As a matter of fact the contents of the gold cd is copied to a green cd and the green cd mounted successfully.
I have the will but can't find the way...