5733 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CONSOLE & KEYBOARD

Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

CONSOLE & KEYBOARD

Fellow SAs:

We are looking to buy a new CONSOLE/KEYBOARD for our RP8400, 7400 and 3440 etc. We would like to connect it to any of the existing HP-UX Servers if need arises. (We already have all these servers connected via Remote LAN Console also. We just want to have an additional Monitor/Console screen by the side of theserver.) Do you know the make/model number of this console/keyboard? I tried searching for it and googling it and didnt find any suitable hits. Any input would be most appreciated.

-Kennedy
4 REPLIES 4
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I've always kept a C1099A on hand - just a dumb terminal that you can plug into the "W" shaped, three way connector on the back of the server. I think that's what you're asking for.

Pete

Pete
Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

Thanks for replying Pete. The lower range servers like RP34XX etc. have the W Shaped Connections, One of which is for Consoles. In RP74XX and 84XX it is just a 9 Pin Make Connector marked "Console". Thanks for the product info, I will do a little bit of research on it and order it. -Kennedy
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What about MP port ?

Suraj
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> Thanks for replying Pete. The lower range servers like RP34XX etc. have the W Shaped Connections, One of which is for Consoles. In RP74XX and 84XX it is just a 9 Pin Make Connector marked "Console".

Both of the server types have a 9 pin connector. The W-cable is just a way to split out the 3 serial ports from a non-standard 25 pin D-connector. The C1099 series is OK but you can use any of the series 700 (700/92, 700/96, etc) or even the 2392A which are probably cheaper. I noticed that they are almost non-existent on eBay. $50 is a typical price.

But that's an HP terminal -- not necessary. You can use any vt100-compatible terminal or even a laptop running hyperterminal or putty. In all cases, be sure you have the correct cable. You are hooking two computing devices together wiothout a modem so the cable must be a crossover (null modem) cable.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin