108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting 4 K-Class HP's to one Console using a switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
Troy Blangin
Advisor

Connecting 4 K-Class HP's to one Console using a switch

I want to know if I can connect all 4 of the K-Class HP-UX machines to one Console using a switch. If this is possible what switch is it that I need. Thanks and have a nice day.
4 REPLIES 4
Medavie
Valued Contributor
Solution

We use a product from Rose Electronics http://www.rosel.com called a porter switch. It is a simple box that allows 8 servers to be connected to one console. You can also
daisy chain multiple porters together. We have 3 connected together with 2 daisy chained from the 1st porter. The product we use is called a Porter-8S (serial). The porter uses a key sequence to switch between ports and we have programed our console to use function keys and number to represent the porter and the port.
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

If you are talking about serial consoles, we used to do that with some of our servers. We used a serial 4-way switch. It usually worked well. It gets confusing during reboot if someone switches sessions. I don't think this is a "supported" option.
tommy
I may be slow, but I get there !
Troy Blangin
Advisor

Thank you Shane. I am looking into the Porter Switch at Rose Electronics.
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Point of info. K class boxes do not need a console at all times (just when booting) so you are okay.