New Discussion

Differentiate

Srinikalyan
Regular Advisor

Differentiate

Can anyone please clarify of the following:

I understand the Part No for Superdome Active CPU product is:AB406A
and part No for Superdome Inactive CPU product is:AB407A

And I thought that physically an Hardware engineer might be able to classify these two Hardwares, Is my assumption correct?

And also enlighten me the ways to classify these Active CPU's and ICAP CPU's by seeing physically?

Thanks,
Muthu
1 REPLY 1

Re: Differentiate

Muthu,

No you cannot physically see the fifference between an active and inactive CPU. The part numbers are all about what is shipped and how its configured.

If you order a superdome with a cell board with 2 active and 2 iCAP dual-core CPUs, you'll get a system with 4 dual-core CPUs installed and the NVRAM configured on the system to ensure that HP-UX only uses 2 of the 4 dual-core CPUs.

If you order another cell board for this system with 2 active and 2 iCAP dual-core CPUs, you'll get a cell board with 4 dual-core CPUs and the installation engineer will update the NVRAM on the server to ensure 2 of the dual-core CPUs can't be used.

A hardware engineer can't look at a CPU and tell you whether it is active or iCAP, all he can do is look at the output of icod_stat/icapstatus and comment on the total number of active/iCAP processors across the complex.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo