New Discussion юеВ

Firmware location on rp3410 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ramaprasad K
Regular Advisor

Firmware location on rp3410 server

Hi,

I am upgrading MP and System Firmware for rp3410 server. As a precaution, I need to know where the Firmware resides so that in case of failure of Upgradation, I can order for the part through HP.

Regards,
Ram.
5 REPLIES 5
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Firmware location on rp3410 server

Hi,

thats a good plan so as to have the spares ready.
you can ask for the 2 things twokeep ready.
1)the system board and
2)the MP Card

Regards
Sujit
Ramaprasad K
Regular Advisor

Excellent Sujit,

Thanks for that Info.

Is there any logic about where the system FW resides (MP FW always resides on MP board ! or is there any exception?) on all models of servers. As on some servers, it resides on I/O Backplane while on others on system board or I/O Baseboard. (out of curiosity).

Regards,
Ram.
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi Rama,

the MP FW remains in MP, System FW on the system board, ILO FW on the MP ILO etc.

When you consider the Big Partionrd Servers like rp74XX,rp84XX, rx76XX,rx86XX , the Suoerdomes, there a lot many Other FWs also involved , like CellFW(on cells),MP,GSP(on GSP),IO FW, CELL JTAG, PDC,PDHC etc which reside on the Respective FRUs (Field Repaceable Units) and that becomes a lot many Firmwares to take Care Of.

But for these sort of BIG systems there are Firmware Recipes available and also they a Sequence of upgrading the FW choosing from the Menu at the time of FW upgrade, and also lile at the time of upgarding the "X" component's FW whether the NAPR can be up or CELLs should be at BIB or 48V Supply can be ON or with only 5V house-keeping voltage on.

So it said that when you upgrade the FW on the Cell-Based Systems like rp7XXX,rp8XXX,rx4XXX,rx8xxxx and Superdomes always get that done With the Help of a Qualified and Authorised HP Engineers only.

Regards
Sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi typo in the last post,

please read the cell based systems as rx7XXX,rx8XXX,rp7XXX,rx8XXX and SDs.

by mistake i wrote rx4XXX there also, rx4XXX is an Entry-level Itanium Server, Sorry for that.

When you download from the HP Internal Site the FWs for such systems , you can refer to the README about the contents and procedure notes of upgrdation of the FW.

regards
Ramaprasad K
Regular Advisor

Activity completed without any issues.

During System FW upgrade, the instructions says what might happen if FW upgrade fails i.e, some chip(not able to recollect) would not work and so should replace the system board. But for MP & iLO, there was no such msg.

Anyhow, would be obliged to anyone who can direct me to a documentation by HP or others on the original topic.

Regards,
Ram.