GSP - HPUX11.11

Mark Parsons
Valued Contributor

GSP - HPUX11.11

I'm logging into the gsp as follows:

Service Processor login: mparsons

Service Processor password:

Hewlett-Packard Guardian Service Processor

(c) Copyright Hewlett-Packard Company 1999-2002.  All Rights Reserved.

System Name: tora03-gsp

[Request for console write access failed!]

But I have a feeling my root partition might be full.

I've tried cntrl-B but this doesn't work. Any other suggestions please?

Kind Regards,

Mark P.

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: GSP - HPUX11.11

Now Hit:   CTRL-e then c then f

Mark Parsons
Valued Contributor

Yes - I've tried that and thats when the following appears:

[Request for console write access failed!]

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The GSP functionality should be completely independent of the state of the root filesystem. I vaguely remember this might be a known bug in one of the older GSP firmware versions.

I guess your "feeling that [the] root partition might be full" means you cannot login to the system in any other way. If that is the case, you'll need to reset the GSP using the GSP reset button. What's your hardware model?

If you can run commands as root on the system using any other method, you could reset the GSP using this command:

stty +resetGSP </dev/GSPdiag1

Resetting the GSP (whether by the stty command or by the reset button) does not reset any GSP settings, just reboots the service processor. It won't even disturb the HP-UX operating system running in the server proper. In some models, the GSP reset button and the TOC button are physically next to each other: you should be careful not to confuse the two, since the TOC button resets the server, not the GSP.

If the reset button does not help either, the last resort is to completely remove power from the system (i.e. disconnect all power cables) for a time (30 seconds was the recommended minimum amount, I think).

If the GSP starts working after the reset or power-cycle, you should check the GSP firmware version: log in, press Ctrl-B to access the GSP menus and type the HE (Help) command.

The first lines of the help output should look similar to this:

GSP> he

HE

==== GSP Help ============================================(Administrator)===
       Hardware Revision 8  Firmware Revision A.01.12 Oct 23 2002,13:53:42
MK
Mark Parsons
Valued Contributor

Thanks for that. Looks like a reset is the only option. As this machine is rarely used all of our accounts have been disabled which is why I was going via the gsp to reactivate them! Its an rp5470.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

OK, on a rp54xx series, the GSP reset button is in a tricky location: you need to open the side panel to access the PCI cardcage, and then look at the edge of the GSP card in slot 2. There are two buttons near the card edge pointing "outwards", clearly labelled as on the card itself as "TOC" and "GSP RESET".

MK