108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Gaurdian Service Processor (GSP)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tracey
Trusted Contributor

Gaurdian Service Processor (GSP)

I am reading a book about HP-UX 11i adminsitration in order to see what is diffrent from 10.20. According to the book, the last "major" step in configuring a system is setting up the GSP.

I've read the short blurbs in HP's documentation area and see that GSP is for A and N systems, but I also see it referred to in SuperDome's and my book says L's too. I understand that it is for local or remote admin functions. What I don't understand: is it required in order for me to run/administer my new machines.

If so, what benfits would it have to a HP shop with only 6 HP/UX boxes that are all in the same room?

P.S. this thread has been moved from Servers > Planning to Servers > HP 9000 - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Gaurdian Service Processor (GSP)

superdome, Ns and Ls have GSPs.
They are stand alone computers that monitor health of the hardware they overlook.
ie: what stage of the boot process is the OS in.
Is it hung... what hw errors do I have?
have I hw errors.
In the SD up to 16 OSes can be managed by one GSP. GSP offers network based console connectivity.
It also allows for OLAR... it is thru the GSP that components are prepared for OLAR... a major ha step in 11i.
It offers more single point administration than before.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

GSP provides you the single point administrartion. you can access the consoles of different machines(similar to web console).
you can opt for GSP if u have many hp boxes. but it is not a must. you can administer by logging into each console or using web console.
never give up
Curt Thompson
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hello Tracey,

Yes, you must 'physically' have a GSP in all your A, N and L machines but you don't have to use it to administer your machines. But, it helps.

1) The GSP has a built-in webconsole. Sure, telnet can do some of the same things, but telnet cannot be the 'real' console.

2) Via the GSP, you can turn the power OFF on a server, remotely (as in, I am at home and don't want to go to work this weekend just to cycle the power switch).

3) When HPUX is down, the only way to get any info remotely is via the built-in webconsole or the optional secure webconsole or GSP-attached modem.

Good Luck,
Curt
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The GSP is found on N,L,R,A-class machines as well SuperDome. The GSP is primarily for hardware issues and normally the system administrator never uses the GSP. The GSP logs hardware and console messages in special NVRAM on the processor.

You can access the GSP with the console using CTRL-B, or through the special GSP LAN port. Or you can use an HP Web Console adapter connected to the RS-232 console port to use a web page to look at the console. This is useful since it allows you to remotely interact with the hardware when HP-UX is not running, for example, booting interactively.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin