HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1751783 Members
4987 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

HP 9000 Upgrade Path (sorry another silly question)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris76
Occasional Contributor

HP 9000 Upgrade Path (sorry another silly question)

Hi all,

One of our clients has a very old HP 9000 T600 which is running HP-UX 11.11.  It hosts 3 test databases which are about 220GB in size and are Oracle 10.2.0.4.0.  We have been asked to migrate these DBs to another server. 

My technical team are looking into this but I wondered if anyone knew of any white papers / articales that could be reviewed as an approach to moving to a virtual environment.

Any pointers would be great.

Chris 

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP 9000 Upgrade Path (sorry another silly question)

HP-UX 10.20 is out of scope for virtualization.

Keep in mind this system is almost 20 years old now!

Probably you need to check if you can use a newer DB version. Then you can decide if you stay with a newer HP-UX system or if you change the OS.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

There actually may be a way to run your legacy databases via a newer server and OS version.

HP-UX 11.31 has something called HP9000 Containers (used to be HP Secure Resource Partitions).  Basically this allows you to take an OS image from HP-UX 10.20, 11.0 and 11.11 and run it in its own container on an Itanium server running HP-UX 11.31.

I have done this with 3 basic server setups (1 each of HP-UX 10.20, 11.0 and 11.11) and they seem to run OK.  I have not had the opportunity to try running anything more complicated, like an older version of Oracle, though I would like to.

Information on HP9000 Containers is available from:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HP9000-Containers

Chris76
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the information Torsten and Patrick it is very useful.

I'm very interested in the 9000 container option as this could resolve a number of issues that we currently have.

Chris