1748236 Members
3560 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hp 9000 K-Class UPS Battery light blinking and alarm

clasha
Occasional Advisor

Hp 9000 K-Class UPS Battery light blinking and alarm

Hi, I have a K-Class server with Battery light flashing and making an audible alarm and it appears (%) Battery is on first light which I believe is 0. Is there a way to fix this or do I need to replace parts on this unit?? thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Re: Hp 9000 K-Class UPS Battery light blinking and alarm

The exact procedure depends on the model of UPS, but you will most likely have to replace the batteries at a minimum. In my experience, It's often better to just purchase a new UPS, since HP won't cover the battery replacement as part of a support contract. The batteries for older UPSes are expensive to buy and ship.

-Josh
What are the chances...
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

I agree, it sounds like the batteries on a ups that have failed, should be replaced every 3 years. you can buy spare battery packs but as said maybe better to buy a newer smaller UPS with the same capacity.

if you look at the back and tell us the part number it may help, probably an A2997A/A2998A

if it is this model number then pressing the silent alarm button on the front will stop the noise, but not offer protection.

Andy
clasha
Occasional Advisor

We have a UPS unit here in our Data Center that is not HP but is there any reason we could not plug the HP 9000 into that ? Is there anything special the HP UPS does?
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi, well the HP UPS will most likely have the serial port connected to the K class, for configuration of alerts and monitoring, thats all.

Any UPS will do, just depends if you want ups monitoring on the K class? or if its just for the 5 minute hold up of power?

Andy
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> We have a UPS unit here in our Data Center that is not HP but is there any reason we could not plug the HP 9000 into that ? Is there anything special the HP UPS does?

As long as the other UPS has enough power to run the K-Class box (it takes a lot of power), you can plug it in. As long as all power failures are short enough that the batteries will keep the systems running, all is well. But if the power fails for several hours, the batteries will be depleted and power goes out. The old (Sola) units would provide a serial connection to shutdown the K-box before the batteries run out of power.

Newer UPS systems such as those from APC can supply plenty of power and will cost less than the (very expensive) replacement batteries for the old HP UPS boxes. However, you'll need to use an alternative method to shutdown the K-class before battery loss. APC has some tools that can be made to work with HP-UX. Other UPS vendors may have support for HP-UX systems.

Depending on how important your K-class system is, you will have to resolve the shutdown issue to prevent loss of power to the running system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

looks like a battery issue with the ups. but if you are using the hp powertrust ups, there should be a bypass switch for you bypass ups mode to allow direct ac power to the server. this should help to temporary have the server running without ups power.