Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
HP 9000
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interpreting I/O Scan Results on HP 9000 Superdome

MrSuperdome
Occasional Contributor

Interpreting I/O Scan Results on HP 9000 Superdome

I need to understand how to interpret results using the ioscan function. The HP document, Configuring HP-UX for Peripherals, was helpful, but doesn't seem to answer how to read the ioscan H/W Path results properly.

Using the HP-UX I/O Scan command, we receive the apparent hardware configuration from Cell to CCA installed in I/O Chassis with IP settings. However, we do not understand the numbering sequence that identifies the component callout. For example, 0/0 seems to indicated Cell 0 & IOA 0. But when the sequence expands, we are uncertain where the specific I/O Bay, I/O Chassis, I/O Chassis Slot, etc. are identified in the sequence chain, for example: 0/0/0/0/0/ and so on. Does this mean cell/ioa/bay/iochassis/slot?

Basically, we are using ioscan with its default options, no options used such as -f or -F.

Superdome configuration only consists of one cabinet, eight cells, four I/O chassis, no expansion chassis. Within the four I/O Chassis, they are only partiall populated, i.e. not all I/O chassis slots 0-11 are occupied.

2 REPLIES
Holger G
HPE Pro

Re: Interpreting I/O Scan Results on HP 9000 Superdome

The HW path in ioscan for HP 9000 Superdome shows cell/sba/lba/device/function/target.

You need the help of other commands to see which IO Chassis is connected to which cell and which LBA relates to which IO slot:

# parstatus

# rad -q

- I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise -
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Re: Interpreting I/O Scan Results on HP 9000 Superdome

Here is a nice chart that should help as well.sd-iopathing.jpg

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!