4932 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: L2000 Down and Won't Boot Up

jboege
Occasional Visitor

L2000 Down and Won't Boot Up

Hi

This morning our L2000 was down and we can't get it to boot up: The console is displaying:

ALERT LEVEL:14 = FATAL POWER OR ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEM PREVENTS OPERATION

REASON FOR ALERT

SOURCE: 4 = POWER

SOURCE DETAIL: 4 = HIGH VOLTAGE DC POWERE     SOURCE ID: FF

PROBLEM DETAIL: 0= NO PROBLEM DETAIL

I've attached a screen shot of the console.

All of the 3 power supply lights are green and fans are blowing.

Doing a PS in the GSP shows all power supplys normal

We've tried a complete power off (circuit breaker off) for 5 minitues and restart but getting same error.

Looking for any trouble shooting help, which is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Things we've tried:

8 REPLIES 8
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

This could be an issue caused by a few things.  The first thing I noted was that the Source ID is listed as FF, which is not valid.  This could be a problem with the Platform Monitor card.  There was an old version of this board that did not report problems correctly all of the time. 

One thing you can try without needing any new parts is to bring the system down to a minimal configuration and see if you get results.

• Platform monitor
  • Power converter
  • System board
  • PCI I/O backplane
  • Display board
  • Any single power supply (power supply 0 preferred)
  • Any 7 fans (it is probably not necessary to remove a fan, however if fewer than 7 fans are installed the system will not remain powered up).

If this configuration changes the power symptoms, add components until you think you can determine a faulty one.  Note, that when adding CPU's, be sure to add its corresponding Processor Support Module as well.

If this doesnt produce anything different, then look to replace the power monitor board.  Look for a part number of A5191-69210 (-67210)  (sorry I dont have a specific EDC to reference).

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
jboege
Occasional Visitor

Bob

Thanks for your reply. We also tried pulling alternate power supplies leaving just two in place without success. Is there anyway to tell if the power converted is bad? The fans initially turn on but shut right down.

Jeff

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Its typically unlikely, as the converter really just passes AC voltage to the power supplies and doesnt change anything.  You can check certain voltages at test points at the system board.  If you are willing to do this, I can post the voltage points and expected levels.

----------------
jboege
Occasional Visitor

What's keeping the power converter fans from running and power light from lighting? They initially come on for a couple seconds when the power button is pressesd?

Jeff

jboege
Occasional Visitor

Tried a new power converter and also a new power monitor board last night with same results :(

We'll be looking for problem yet today.

JEff

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Well, assuming you have ruled out all of the smaller components (CPU, PSM, IO cards, disks), you basically have two major assemblies left...the PCI backplane and the system board.  I would suggest the PCI backplane, but in reality it could be either. 

Also, note that to get the system board out, you have to remove the PCI backplane (however replacing the system board will change your SWID or "host ID".  It will also change the serial number that is coded into the firmware.  This can be corrected by HP if his affects your operations.

-Bob

----------------
jboege
Occasional Visitor

Bob Thanks again for your help. Is the power monitor board the same as the PSM you listed?

I have not rulled out the smaller items yet. Looks like a long day today :(

Jeff

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Sorry...the PSM is the Processor Support Module...sort of a voltage regulator for the CPU's.  There is one PSM for every two CPU installed.  if you have four CPU's and two PSM's you can easily troubleshoot these by removing two CPU's and moving around the PSM's.

if you only have 1 or 2 CPU's then remove the CPUs and the PSM and see if the system responds differently at power on (as in, stays powered on).

-Bob

----------------