108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Management Processor issue on 11.11

SOLVED
Go to solution
Phillip Popp
Regular Advisor

Management Processor issue on 11.11

I am having trouble going into the Management processor. I believe I am hitting the proper key strokes. ^Ecf. I get the feedback of [bumped user]. Can anyone help me with this. I can not loggin to the main box through telnet or FTP.
Production is down!!! please help

Thanks,

Phil
8 REPLIES 8
Phillip Popp
Regular Advisor

Re: Management Processor issue on 11.11

Forgot to mention I am on an HP 9000 rp3440

Thanks,

Phil
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Connecting to the Management Processor (MP) using Telnet or SSH works only one time. It is unable to log on to MP again until you reset MP.

Logging on to the MP serial console still works fine. You can log on to MP using Telnet or SSH once you reset MP. However, this is possible for only one time.

Switching the LAN network connection to a known good system does not change the situation.

SOLUTION:
This was not a hardware issue. After setting a valid and unused IP address to the LAN console, everything worked fine.

The customer had assigned a duplicate IP address to MP LAN, and it produced an IP address conflict on the customer network.

It is recommended to always test LAN console connectivity with a crossover LAN cable and a laptop. Thus, you can confirm if there is a hardware issue on MP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you type ^Ecf and get the response "[bumped user -]", then the connection to the management processor works. If you cannot login at that point, it might mean one of the following:
- the process currently on the console is hung
- the OS is hung
- there has been a hardware failure and the system is down.

First, press ^B to access the management processor command prompt. It should work.

From there, you can use VFP (Virtual Front Panel) command to get the basic system state. Is the system powered on and running normally, or indicating a powered-off or failed state?

You can get more information by using the SL command to view the management processor logs. These logs would be very useful in diagnosing a hardware failure.

If the VFP indicates the system is running, but the console mode (the CO command) is totally unresponsive and you cannot login to the system in any other way either, your only option might be to crash and reboot the system. To do that, you use the TC command in the management processor command prompt. (Depending on the model, you might have to use the CM [Command Menu] command first.)

TC will display an "are you sure" prompt, then it will make the system create a crash dump (if possible) and reboot. You can then analyze the crash dump to find out what was wrong. There are some tools you can use yourself; if you have a support agreement, you can also send the dump to HP for a more detailed analysis.

MK
MK
Phillip Popp
Regular Advisor

I did not try the VFP before I did a reboot. System came up ok and is running again. There was only one level 3 system log from the SL command. I do have a core file that was in the / dir which I also included. I am also including the syslog file. I do not see any issues. I am not familiar with core files so to me they are usless. The box itself had no unusual LED activitiy. All LED's were as they should be.

Thanks,

Phil
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

A crash dump and a core dump are two different things.

A crash dump would be found at /var/adm/crash after a successful reboot. It might be rather big.

Your core dump was produced by the "xargs" command. The immediate cause of the coredump was a "Segmentation fault" error. That does not seem at all relevant to the system hang, but it makes me think: how up to date your system is? What's the latest Quality Pack installed?

The VFP message only indicates a forced reboot, which has a known cause (your action).

Your syslog.log contained only log events from the time *after* the reboot, because HP-UX normally rotates the syslog files at reboot. The interesting logfile would have been /var/adm/syslog/OLDsyslog.log: if the system produced any error messages before hanging, they would have been at the end of this file.

Your .zip attachment seemed a little bit strange: it also contained a few extra files, including an application log file of some sort named LogFile.txt, with events dating from early 2001 to the December 2006. I fail to see how that could be relevant.

Please re-check your attachment. If you made a mistake, please post a request to the moderator intervention thread to have the attachment removed:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1450220

MK
MK
Phillip Popp
Regular Advisor

Matti,
Thanks for responding. Sorry about the extra files. Checked the var/adm/crash dir and there was nothig in there, no files at all. I included the OLDsyslog this time.

Thanks,

Phil
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Phil,

Make sure the system Firmware and patches are up to date. We've seen quite a few rp3440s reboot or MPs hanging without a footprint due to firmware or missing patches. Bringing them up to date resolved it for us.

Release Notes:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=2512013&swItem=pf-58098-1&prodNameId=1828449&swEnvOID=7&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=5

Patch Notes:

http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=PHSS_37789&sel={hpux:11.11,}&BC=main|search|

Critical:
Yes
PHSS_37789: OTHER
- See Symptoms.
PHSS_33086: HANG
- See Symptoms.

PHSS_30838: PANIC HANG
- See Symptoms.

PHSS_30676: PANIC
- See Symptoms.

Rgds,
Benoy Daniel
Trusted Contributor

Core files can generate if there are any issues with application side and not always system related.